New River-thought it was a catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by riverdawg-1, Jan 24, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I fished above the rt. 114, Peppers Ferry, Bridge on Mon. afternoon. I had 4 rods out,nightcrawler, liver, and 2 cut baits. The rod with the nightcrawler got a good run, I set the hook and it took off. I thought I had a huge cat the way it kept trying to run deep, After 15 min. I landed a 34.7# carp. Not a cat, but the biggest fish I've caught in years:big_smile:

2. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Chip.Congrats on the big carp.

3. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    you know, ive never caught a carp, i here there pretty fun to catch, congrats and welcome

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Sometimes it doesn't matter what we catch, but the fun we have doing it!

Welcome to the BOC brother!

5. Jason222

Jason222 New Member

State:
    VA
    Nice fish. Congrats.
    Jason

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Good fish bro, Carp fight like champs. Never know when youll hook into one either.

Wheelmobile07

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    wow, that carp is a trophy in your state. its not too far from your state's record which is 49 lbs 4 oz. nice job!!

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    man, thats an awesome sized carp. congrats on the catch! id love to see a picture if you have one.

9. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Wish I had one! I didn,t really go prepared. With the weather i didnt think fishing was going to be good, more just getting out for a while. It was the only bite i got though.It is the biggest fish i ever caught. Its still swimming in the new river!:big_smile:

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    haha thats awesome glad hes still swimming:big_smile: im going to start fishing for carp this summer. hopefully i catch one!

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Tom In the summer when its too hot to do anything else i catch alot of carp in the river by my house. One of the best, and cheapest baits ive found is to take about 1/2 loaf of bread and mix it with a can of salmon and make a dough ball. Ive seen carp swim by and turn around to eat it! Its alot of fun to catch 5-10# carp on a light action rod. Good Luck.

12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Glad to see you released it and let it live one day, hopefully i will catch it next.

Wheelmobile07

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I hope someone catches it again, it put up one hell of fight. Let me know if your ever around the roanoke/montgomery co. area and want to go fishing. I fish New river alot, and James when I can. Also do some bank fishing for cats at SML.
    Chip

14. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Prolly seen you b4, fish the same places that you do. Just pm me on your next trip. Me, im going friday morning trout fishing in the smith river if you have waders and want to tag along.

Wheelmobile07

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Would love to, but i'm staying close to home for a few weeks, My wife and i are expecting our first baby any day now, a girl. So later this spring we,ll have to go fishing good luck friday

16. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Well congrats on the newbie that is about to enter the world. Glad that you have found this site, theres no BS on here except for the Member Jokes, witch i get a kick out of daily. Just PM me if you need some advice on where the fish are biting.

Wheelmobile07

17. egomaniac247

egomaniac247 New Member

State:
    VA
    I tell you what, I'm sure it put up a fight...too bad you didn't catch it in the summer, you would have thought you had a 50lbs striper on.

The best fight I have ever had out of a fish (including salt water) was a 6-7 pound carp I caught out of a small city pond. I somehow caught this thing on a beetlespin and I honestly thought I had the world record bass on my line. I have never seen a fish pull that hard and make that many runs.

Honestly speaking, carp are probably the hardest fighting freshwater fish there is.

18. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    They do fight good thats for sure.

Wheelmobile07

19. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    All my best to you and your soon to be daughter. We had our girl on Jan. 4 and I didn't know how much more love I was capable of until now. Pre-congrats and let us know when she comes.

20. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    That's a nice carp! It beats my pb by a few lbs.