New River near Jacksonville - anything?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Pogo, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I live in Sneads Ferry, at the juncture of the New River, the IntraCoastal Waterway and the Ocean and, though I've looked, I don't see anyone fishing this river.

Is it that there isn't any good fishing here or what?

I'm very curious.

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That far down, you aren't going to see much. Bluefish, trout, drum and assorted others can be good at times, but it's way too salty even for the native white cats. Get up passed the USO and fish around the trees with the most plants growing around them, and you can have continuous action with white cats from 1-3lbs. We've been going down just a bit and cast netting menhaden in the 3-5" range and using them hole on floats. We've been having a blast on the whites, bowfin, and some real nice gar! I've made it extra fun using only a 6'6" light action rod with 4# test line.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There is excellent bass fishing and good channel cats above the USO bridge.Also some super crappie.I live on the New River above the bridge and if you boat up there my house is just past the one built into the river bank,Tommy Pollards house.Mine sits up on a bluff and has a cabin behind it.:smile2:

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've been up there right behind your place a few times fishing. Never caught a single channel cat through there though. All the channels I've caught were up between Rhodestown and Northwest Bridge.

5. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Come on up here to New Bern at the Nuese river right now you can catch nice Cat,s ,,brim,,rock,,flounder,,puppydrum,THANKS TIMBO:big_smile:

6. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info, Guys ... I'll just have to motor on up and try it out.