New River info please

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by olcutbait, Feb 10, 2009.

1. olcutbait

olcutbait New Member

State:
    virginia
    This time of the year the bite is slow. The fish hole up in deep pools. The only place I know of where cats are consistently caught in the winter is the eggleston area of giles co.There are several deep bluffs in channel swings where the water gets slow and deep thats; where you will find them.Most are caught on minnows,alwifes and gizzards.I have heard of people catching them on jigging spoons but have never done so myself.The bluffs are easy to locate as they are probably close to a hundred feet tall.Mudcats and channels dominate this river but there are a few blues in there too.Several muskies have been caught using the same baits,same area during this time of the year.

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    winter is slow! but as the river warms there are great places to catch channels and flats. below claytor dam and just above and below rt 114 bridge are 2 good spots that can be fished by boat or bank. during the summer about good tree cover will hold flats. if you have a boat, you consider fishing claytor lake. the last few years i've caught countless channells over 15# and flatheads up to 31#. in the river the flats ussually average around 10-12 #.
    chip

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    where in va are you? i';m in salem and fish claytor hard when the water warms a little. right now i'm hitting smith mtn more for stripers.
    chip

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the info Chip. I'd like to get to know more of the local waters myself once the spring/summer gets here. I fish the tidal James hard in the winter, but looking to fish new waters once that slows down.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    joshua i ussually start fishing claytor alot around mid march. anytime you want to go let me know, i ussually go 2 or 3 nights a week through summer. april is probably my favorite month to fish at night, if the cats aren't cooperating the stripers and hybrids are on top water.
    chip

6. crwcatter

crwcatter Guest

WHERE ARE SOME GOOD SPOTS ON CLAYTOR AND DO YOU KNOW OF ANY ABOVE CLAYTOR.I FISH THE RIVER ABOVE ALOT IN SPRING AND SUMMER AROUND INDEPENDENCE FOR BASS AND SOME NIGHTS IN THE SUMMER FOR FLATHEADS ALTHOUGH THAT CAN BE KINDA SLOW.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Howard! :0a25:

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    for cats on claytor near the dam on the state park side is good as well as across the lake from public ramp for channels. for flats the peak creek area or just up from lighthouse bridge. i've never fished in the river above allisonia. this year i plan to do some canoe trips on upper new, maybey foster falls area.
    chip