New River Gorge West Virginia

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by dinkbuster1, Dec 21, 2005.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anyone on here fish the new river around the fayetteville w.va.area? my dads family lives in that area and everytime i visit i forget to take my poles. my uncle supposedly caught a "mud cat" right around the gorge bridge that went 60 lbs. he lost the picture so i couldnt verify if it was a blue or flat. that river looks awesome, a very big riffle/ hole / run river. he told me its hard to fish by boat most of the year due to those "danged rafters" harrasing ya. just wanna know whats actually in there.

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i've fished the section of it down in VA before but not really for cats... it was a few years ago and i really didn't know all that much about river catting... we mostly caught smallies and even had a BIG musky on my line before it snapped 10 feet from shore... oh well... I keep wanting to get back there to go for cats and smallies again... maybe even that musky i lost too...

i think if it were a 60# mudcat it was a flattie, never really heard blues called mud cats and bullheads don't get anywhere near that large...

3. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Pretty sure it was a flathead...
    I've never fished it. I live "north"
    People say they catch channels and flatheads out of the new river.

Ive read somewhere that you can go on a guided tour fish for smallmouth in the day and catfish at night.

4. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    Hello, I live in beckley, wv which is just about 20 miles from where you are talking about. I fish the New RIver about three times a week if not more. We catch a =lot of nice fish mainly around 15-20 lbs, but never no blues. They say there gonna start stocking blues in the Ohio around Gallipolis again and eventually they will return to the WV rivers(I can't wait). But if you ever come around this summer maybe we could all get together and fish just post me and we'll set up a date and time.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds good to me thanx!

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Dink, I used to fish new River when I lived in Va.
    Most of the time we used steel leaders. Mainly because the river has so many shale outcropings underwater. the cats would run up under them and cut the line.

7. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    Talked to some of the outfitters on the New about fishing cats in the gorge, I think there may be big flats in there the ONLY way to fish the New is from a raft to get to the big holes

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    is the new river the same as the kanawha.........just changes name once the flow seperates from east to west???

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It was my understanding that the New and Gauley combined and from that point on, was called the Kanahwa. Im sure someone else will confirm that.

I have some buddies who used to go down and fish for muskies and alwys took big smallies on big plugs and every once in a while got a nice channel.

The 2-3 times down there I always took a lot of smallies with the fly rod, Its a nice river, thats for sure.

Salmonid