New River Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by flathead willie, Aug 8, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went diving in the New River on Sunday and saw plenty of Flatheads but they were all layed up and not cruising around looking for food. Every one I saw was buried under weeds or under logs. The Smallmouth were active everywhere and I spotted one Muskie but I think I spooked him out of hiding.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    What would you say the biggest one you saw was Willie

3. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I guess the biggest one was about 35# with alot of them going 15-25 pounds. I saw maybe 20 Flatheads all in an area that was about 150' x 150' square. I usually see some Blues in there but not this time. I don't know where they were. This place is a deep pool downstream from some fast shallow water.

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Hey Flathead Willie,

What part of the new where you diving in when you saw the flats? Heard of some nice flats being pulled out of there this summer.

Wheelmobile07

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thats a pretty cool way to study the underwater structure. Do you find that it helps when you decide on what areas to fish in terms of your success rate?

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I was at the Rt. #114 bridge in Blacksburg, at Peppers Ferry. There is always alot of Flatheads there and usually some real big Blues. And yes Dameon, it really helps to know exactly where the structure is and what the fish are likely to do at certain times of day and under different weather conditions and what depths they like to be in. When they are schooled up in Sept. & Oct. I could actually mark where they are with a bouy and go back and fish that spot but it takes the fun out of it for me. I don't usually fish where I dive. When I came out of this spot last year a little kid was fishing there with his dad and a couple other kids. He asked me if there was any fish there. I had just seen three big Large Mouth Bass next to the bridge footing so I told him to cast there. Before I could change my tanks I heard him hollar and saw everyone run over to him. He had just pulled out about a 5 pound Bass. Pretty cool!

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Have you ever saw anything down in that water that made you hurry up and get out of there? That would be what I would worry about. LOL, seems a lil bit creepy to me but I know that it would help my fishing out.

Wheelmobile07

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    No! The scariest stuff down there is the stuff that humans throw in the water, barbed wire, fishing line, broken glass, car parts, fishing lures, rope, wire from burnt tires, etc. My friends and I also recover lots of sun glasses, rods, reels, lanterns, pocket knives, watches, camping gear, anchors, and one diver found a safe and a 12 gauge shotgun from a recent robbery.

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thats a shame, I never have intentionally threw trash in the waters where i fish, but i have to admit I have lost a pair of sunglasses or two...LOL. On my float trip on the upper james two weeks ago I found a Male wedding band just glistning under the water when we pulled over for a break. The guy most have played NFL football for the size of it.

Wheelmobile07