New River Fishermen

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by j.smfp, Aug 17, 2007.

1. j.smfp

j.smfp New Member

State:
    MO
    Hello, My freind and i are brand new to river fishing for cat fish, and this sight. We are looking for as much help as we can get. One are bigiest questions is bait and how to rig both are poles and are jug lines.
    We have been just going thru the bait with no fish hooked. We have been using mostly Blue gill and chopped carp.
    We think that are rigs are wrong and we arnt hooking the live bait right (probaly falling off).
    Well thats it and if you can help i would really appreciate it. I enjoy reading all of the threds and and your storiess good luck to all.:wink:

2. mriradik

mriradik New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to river fishing!once you figure a few things out you will be hooked.as far as bait i use nothing but fresh shad or skip jack if i can get them.we use a needle to thread the shad down our leader and onto our hook.it wont come off.what area are you fishing?i may be able to point you in the right direction to find some shad.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from another Mo. member Jeff.

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    welcome aboard, you will get some good info from this site. enjoy

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome aboard the BOC, from a fellow Missourian. Without knowing all your details, your best bet would be to search first the archives of the Missouri section, then branch out to the library section. After that, hit the basic catfish sections under Blue, Flat or Channel. When you get done with all the info in those locations, well, unfortunately, you may be too old to fish anymore. LOL There is an incredible amount of info on this board. Many thousands of catfolk have passed their "secrets" on to us in a very generous gesture to help us become better fishermen (fisherwomen).

Now, there is one more thing. Everybody has something to offer. Everybody! We love to learn from new members, they bring a new perspective, usually. Feel free to post any ideas you have that you think would help us. Don't worry about if it has been written about before. Many of us here are old like me and have no memories anyway. Besides, you won't get picked on for providing info, even if it has been posted before.
    Again, welcome to the BOC.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Jeff:cool2:. Along with the above posts, check out the library. There is a lot of good info in there. After that just start asking questions.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff, were glad your here. Jump right in there is always someone on to ans. any questions you may have!

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, Illinois. You will find all the info you need here. Good luck.

9. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Welcome to the BOC, great site with lots of info. Just jump right in there and ask question's. Alot of good people here eager to help ya out. Think the best way is to research others tactics and takle and use it with your own. Keep at it till you find a system that works for you.

10. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    First off welcome!!! How often are you checking your jugs? How big are your jugs? When jug fishing I hook the gills right thru the eyes!! They stay alive!! Now my wife who claims she can outfish me and usually does hooks hers just above the back of tail!! She claims they usually swallow head first! I say just opposite!! Try both!! Hope that helps!!

11. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Welcome to the BOC:smile2:

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    :0a25:Welcome to The BOC Jeff.:0a25:

13. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    jeff i am to new to this sight but not to fishing and the bait u are using i just fine i have caught a lot of big fish on both as far as fishing them i use asian carp cause there easy to get and i skin and fellet them then cut them in about 1"by 2"by how ever thick it is and just thread it on the hook and as far as the gills i hook them in about three differnt ways 1 way (most common) is about 3/8" behind the dorsal fin and just as deep as u can get with out going through there back bone 2 (fast water) in there mouth out there eye or nose on a big one 3 (slow water or if the bite is off just a little) i hook them just like the first one but a lot farther back and may even put it through there back bone any way hopes this helps

14. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    welcome to the boc. you are going to fall in love with big river fishing, nothing comes close to it. i will put a pic. up soon showing the diff. ways i cut skip jack hope it will help, good luck from new madrid mo.

15. j.smfp

j.smfp New Member

State:
    MO
    thanks to all ofo you. I spent the Sunday reading thru the libary and cant wait to try what I learned.
    By the way do any of you know of any good guides we ehat to go out with someone to get a hang of thanings and maybe learn a little ??

Once a gain thanks for all the info on your post there isd a lot to learn and Im glad that you all are sharing.:tounge_out:

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sent you a PM. Steve Brown Catfish Safari. He is a sponsor on this site. catfishsafari.com

17. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC! Catfishing is addictive!

18. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    welcome to the boc jeff

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Another Missouri welcome Jeff. Good to have you aboard....

20. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeff Welcome to the BOC from So. Illinois.:0a22::0a25::0a25: