New River 5-26

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by riverdawg-1, May 28, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Fished the Parrott and McCoy sections of New River last night. Only had 2 runs, missed one the other was a 5.2# smallmouth bass. Both runs and bass on 4-6" bullheads.

2. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'll bet it was crowded down there. I fished near Glen Lyn on Friday evening and caught a 6lb channel and a few smallies. There were people everywhere. Where are you getting those bullheads? I did not think there were any around here.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Mcoy area was packed, Parrott I found one spot open, at 114 bridge i fished a little while there were people camped everywhere. I catch my bullheads in the Roanoke River.

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    Planning on hitting the New either Monday or Tuesday night. Have either of you fished around the Claytor dam? Was thinking of paddleing up toward the spillway and maybe around the area where the Little River joins the New.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    When I fish below the dam I ussually go just upstream from little river and fish back towards where liittle meets new, theres a deep hole there. Or if you go towards the bridge on the left side of river there is alot of downed trees and I catch more flatties there. I've been having alot better luck at claytor than on the river this week.
    Chip

6. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Scott, I've only fished there once, and it was about a month ago. I used a canoe with a trolling motor to go up to the dam and fished from the bank. Lots of rocks and hang-ups. The area around the little river is fished pretty hard on the down river side. It is a good distance to the dam, so if you are using only paddles the area Chip mentioned is probably your best bet. Good luck and let us know how you do.

7. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    Thanks guys! We all need to get together some day and go fishing :big_smile: Of course my schedule is a strange one. My weekend this week is Monday & Tuesday :eek:oooh: