New rigs

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bigcat tinyboat, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Bigcat tinyboat

Bigcat tinyboat New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Ditching some "make due" flathead equipment for a some more technique specific stuff. What I had before did the job but had some minor things I didnt care for when I started slinging many more casts for flats. The last 4 or so years I used a 9" Tica surf rod and a 8.5' Berkley Reflex rod. The tica is a great rod, casts a mile, but feel like it was ultimately too stiff with very little sensitivity. Very light but it was made for the surf, not catfishing. I had no feel when I set the hook or loaded it into a circle hook. The Berkley did the job also but it was very handle heavy (and a lot of handle as well) and although seemingly heavy duty really was almost too bendy. The handle was so long it felt like I was using a much shorter rod. I paired them with 25 lb test on an Okuma Epixor 50 and a Quantum Bluerunner. The Quantum I have no complaints about, I just wanted to go to a bait feeder. The Okuma Epixor broke down on me this year under some serious torque from a solid take. Now it is like the gears are out of whack. I think it can be fixed, but again want a baitfeeder and something bigger to handle the line, sinkers, bait, and pressure from big fish. A larger handle became something I wanted as well.

The new rigs: Okuma Avenber 65 Baitfeeders. 25 or 30 lb test. After doing research felt these were cost effective for the product I wanted. I really could have kept using my old rods but saw a great deal on 9" Pinnacle Power Tip Gold rods online. (Im a sucker for cheap sh-- I will admit). Wanted something like a big water ugly stick and I think these will be close. A friend has the regular Power Tip rods and has no problems with them. Look real beefy and stiff in the back bone with a sensitive tip. Hopefully can withstand the pressure I put on them. Ive wanted the baitfeeders to hook a fish on the run. I dont like to wait and I like to hit them going away. Loosening the drag is time consuming and keeping it locked up requires a real close eye.

No concerns on the reel but if the rods arent what I hope they are for these large reels can anyone reccomend any good buys for good 9' cat rods? I saw some Daiwa Eliminators on Cabelas for 40. I'd like to keep it under 50. Or has anyone used the Pinnacle rods before?

As for the cats lately, just a few each night here and there. Some weird nights on cut drum, few mediocre cats on bluegills. More often than not I havent hooked up on runs which as we all know could me small cats, channels, turtles, or just cause dilusions that every hit was a giant flathead and I am doing something wrong and $175 worth of new rods and reels and hooks will solve it.

2. Bigcat tinyboat

Bigcat tinyboat New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    A note on the rods and reels I received.....reels look hardcore, for the money look more than capable. The Pinnacle Powertip Gold rods (9 feet) are the most bad--- rods I have ever seen for the money. I paid 66.00 for 2 rods including shipping. Really nice design scheme, stout as any cat rod out there, with thick but sensitive tip. I really dont see this rod/reel combo with 25-30 lb test not pulling in any PA cat that would bite. Being that my 2 largest flatheads were 30-35 lbs on a bass rod with 8 lb test in current below a dam I can't imaging these not performing well under pressure. Not to mention will double as great surf rods, should be able to sling 6 oz. easy.