New rig

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kat in the hat, Dec 24, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got a Zebco Big Water combo for christmas. It's a 7' medium/heavy rod with a closed face reel. I know it's not expensive, but I wondered if any of you have used one, and if it's a fairly decent rig. I usually use a spinning reel, but beggars can't be choosers. It does have a bait clicker which is cool.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It'll git 'r done. My son brought in an 8 lb river blue cat on a spin cast rig cheaper than that one, who knows what the original line was? He beached the cat fish and the line broke. We did get to fry him up, though...good eating.

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Yep I have one now, the rod is real good but the reel lasted for 2 1/2 fish over 20 lbs and then stripped to here and gone. Its no good any more. I put a abu garcia on it and have caught 4 ft sharks, so the rod is good to go.

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i never use that factory line, its almost like they put some dang floss on it or sumthin. pretty bad when your fishing line has a minty flavor to it from the floride:lol: tip #148 always replace the pre spooled line on your reels. to much memory and smells like floride:wink:

5. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    That's kinda what I figured. I'm not very fond of flosed face reels anyway. Too used to spin casters. The rod seems hefty though.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well hope fully youl get some use out of the reel and alot outa the rod

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I don't use spin cast equipment. He bought the thing for his wife, she won't learn how to use a spinning reel, just like she says she can't learn to drive a stick shift car. He just brought it along on the trip to use as a spare and you know how it is when you have an extra rod and are set up on a bank fishing, through out everything you've got. As for myself, I only spool with name brand line, the stuff the factory puts on spin cast reels looks like poop warmed over.

8. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I just use spin casters because that's what I'm used to. I figure the fewer parts to screw up the better. For me anyhow. As for line, I got hooked on cajun red 35# this summer, and love it compared to fireline, spider wire, and big game line. Seems to be strong, and knots tie well. I hope to catch a fish big enough to fry that zebco POS reel so I can get a new one. Oh, and I hate it when someone holds a spin casting reel upside down like a closed face reel. Makes me think wow you're dumb.

9. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    Doesnt mean they're dumb, just means they havent fished much.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt congrats on your new rod and reel. I hope it does a good job for you. Kepp us posted on the results. It may help you break your personal best this year. Good Fishing.:cool2:

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i have a zebco 808...i think thats what comes with the big water combo. well i think its a great reel and it has lasted over a year of jam-packed fishing. as long as you take care of it it'll be a good reel.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on that new reel, and put it to the test and get a new one lol.