New rig - Will it work?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JReed, Feb 8, 2006.

1. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I am going to try a new rig this year with the hopes that it will get me some more fish.
    Let me know what you think or if you have tried it in the past.

I use sure shot punch bait. Very similar to DK but works better in my waters. I use a #4 treble. 40lb spiderwire for my main line.

This is the idea.

I am thinking of using a sinker slide http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20293&hasJS=true
    on my main line. A #7 swivel and a 20 or 30lb copolymer leader. Sounds good so far right? Now, I was thinking of using the rig floats http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601320&hasJS=true
    and putting them on my treble shank.

My way of thinking is the sinker slide will not abraid my line and the float will be enough to keep my bait off the bottom. My only concern is that the line will tangle on the slide or sinker during the cast.

Any opinions?

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    JReed, good idea on the slide and float but one thing that I think might need some looking into is the idea of putting the float over the shank of a treble hook. That would decrease the gap between the shank and the tip of the barbs which would make hook setting harder due to the reduced space. That gap is is very important for good hook sets. I would say let the float ride just above the eye of the hook and maybe use a bead with the line run through the hole twice to keep the float down by the eye of the hook. I use a similar item out of Jan's Tackle catalog when I'm drifting, but it has thin but bright wings coming off it at an angle and it spins in the slightest current. I get the lift of the float and the flash that imitates the flash off the side of a shad in one unit. I've had mixed results, but I like the idea of a little color/flash down there when I'm drifting. On the casting issue, I also would worry about tangles and not getting the proper line movement through the eye of that rig. But, I would let that stop me from trying it and reporting back to everyone how it works.