New respect for Berkley Big Game..

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by harper81, Oct 20, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Just got back from the lake and had a couple of snags through out the night. And no matter how hard I pulled, this line would not break off. I wrapped it around a stick and walked back about 15 ft. and it still would not break. I ended up pulling it out of the snag before the line ever broke. I am very impressed with this line. It was 20 lb. by the way.

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    All I use is Berkley big game and have never had any problems. As far as im concerned its the shiznit.:big_smile:

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Just be careful you don't snap that rod though with all that pulling....Glad the line has worked for you.

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just recently switched to berkly big game 30 # love this line, very strong. last time i was out i got snagged up and it was the hook. pulled and pulled the line never broke. finally i just started walking up the bank with the bail held tight. it ended up straighting out my dang hook. i like the line alot i would recomend it to anyone.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill I totally agree. Big Game will get the job done. You can use with confidence. Thanks.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Only one thing to consider. Was the integrity of the line affected by that serious stretch. Just some food for thought.

7. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Just change it often, and it shouldn't let you down.JMO

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother's and Sister's;
    I agree that today's lines are superior to those that we had in years past!
    However! I would like to share a short story with some advice based on wisdom and PERSONAL!!! experience!
    Many, many, years ago back on the 20th Century when I was a young pup my neighbor and friend whom we shall call "Scott" and leave it at that to protect the innocent. Dumber than a box of rocks, but innocent!:smile2: met up with me and the rest of the "Gang" to go fishing.
    We were out fishing at this farmers lake one day when Scott threw his line out near a bunch of cattails in hopes of catching either a LARGE Bluegill or a decent sized b-Ba-BAaa BASS! {there I said the Bait word }:) }
    I warned him that a couple of days earlier I had tangled my line and pulled until it snapped and I went rolling straight backwards. Thankfully missing the "sticker" bushes had I rolled to either side!
    Well, Scott, being himself, ignored my well intended warning with his usual laugh at me saying "that's YOUR luck, NOT mine!" It's a whole other story but Scott did NOT have a happy childhood but Nuff said for now!
    Scott proceeded to cast into the edge of the bushes, cattails, and other brush lining the edges and was not getting caught up!
    Well, thankfully I was about, I guess, 25 feet or more away from Scott when he got his line "Hung". At first, like all of us at one time or another, he thought he had a "BIGGUNN"! Then by the time I reeled in my own line and started over that way he was sure he had something alive and not a "Hang" as I had suggested at the time. I had to admit that whatever he had it looked like it was going deeper into the brush!
    Well Scott had been in the "Big City" the weekend before and had bought a new spool of line. And, as always, his line was the best that could be bought or had! Hint!- he got it from a K-Mart store!!!:wink:
    He had his rod bent into a "U" and was still trying to lean back farther while grunting, groaning, ect.
    I stepped back just in time as all of a sudden something let go on the end of the line and out came, what first looked like a green and white missile with a rock on it, flying out at Scott whom tried to duck out of the way, but to no avail! He got CLOBBERED!:eek:oooh: AND GOOD TOO! :eek:oooh:Knocked him clear off his feet with a "AUGT!" and while twisting in the air, landed on his stomach with his head turned about half way around his shoulders and got most of the wind knocked out of him!! :embarassed::smile2: As many of us know, THAT hurts! The snap we had hear was his rod breaking.
    He got his wind back, rolled over and sat up and that is when we discovered he had a bloody nose, his eyes were already swelling and Scott was not sure whether he wanted to cry or get mad and hit something!
    Turned out that he had been hit by a small Snapping Turtle that weighed ohhhh I guess maybe 5#'s {we did not have scales in our pockets back then!}and a cattail root head on!:smile2: I still laugh today. Thankfully the Snapping Turtle did not get a chance to get ahold of Scott's nose or ears! He got so mad that he picked up the cattail and nailed that Snapping Turtle oblivious of the blood running down his face. Well, as we all know, it takes more than a wet cattail to hurt a Snapping Turtle! He was so mad he went and got a forked limb and a short limb. He made the turtle bite the short limb, then held the head with the forked stick and cut it's head off!!!
    He eventually survived that attack and the rest of us were able to convince his mother that he had NOT been in a fight again but was attacked by an Armored Snapping Turtle and Cattail Base! :smile2:
    You all just gotta know from that day on, Scott's nickname was "DUCK"!
    So, the moral of this long winded story is, when you try to pull your line out of the water, watch out, you never know what might come flying out at cha!
    I'm sure that something similar to this has happened to most of us at one time or another in our lives if you have spent as much time outdoors as me and the "Gang" did. Of course we were raised in the country and as far as I am concerned, we got the better deal over the city kids!
    I hope you all enjoyed this long winded story. As you can see, I am NOT good at telling stories!:embarassed:
    It's just that I got reminded of this incident and thought I would share the story is all. Hope I did not bore anyone too much.
    "Walk In Peace My Brother's and Sister's"
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Long Winded Post]]]]]

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use that line on some rigs a have. I like it a lot.

10. Delisleba

Delisleba New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used this line for many years now. For the price it is some of the best. Never had it broke I use 20lbs. I fish mainly from the banks of the Ohio river and casting distance is important. The only draw back I have found in the big game is that it has a high stretch, this hurts me on my hooks sets when i am 70-90 yards out in the river. I tried Cajun line on one of my poles it had held up well, but never really was tested this year. I plan to put this on all my poles if it passes the big fish test I might go turtle fishing with it this sure will test it. The Cajun has less stretch and line memory then the big game and is about the same price. It also appears to have better UV resistance. The only thing i don't line about the Cajun line is that the red color is VERY hard to see. Even during the day and next to impossible to see at night.

11. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I love this line as well! I have never been able to break it on a snag or a fish! I highly recommend it.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have broke it on both snag and fish, but that is not the lines fault. I like Big Game and i enjoy the fact that it comes in the three colors i like, Chartruse, Hunter Green, Florescent Blue. I have recently switched to stren because i use lighter, limper lines now since they cast further (bank fishing only) and i learned to tie a knot so i dont have to use 20+lb line.

13. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I use Suffix 8 lb line on my bass casting reels. Has anyone ever used a heavier line for catfishing? I know the 8 lb casts well and has really low memory but am curious about the heavier line.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i dont like anything over 20 myself. I had 30 before and you can really tell in your casting distance.
    Now i use 12-17 and LOVE it. I have to change my line more often since smaller room for error.

15. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i use three kinds of line P line 25 pound test big game 20 -25 # and braid i have only broke the braid which is 80# any other time ive been hung and couldnt get loose i have tied it to the cleat on my boat and strightened the hook.P line even at 25 # cast really well very limp and low memory.braid i let my wife fish with the fish in my avatar was 24 pounds and she had him sking she doesnt understand drag she just know reel as fast as you can lol

16. channelking24

channelking24 New Member

State:
    pa
    all of my pics but one where im holding the 2 fish at the same time i used 6 pd test on light action to medium action rods and reels with my drag set right and letting them run ..its a fun time hearing ur drag scream when there is a 30 inch channel on the other end. But the pic with the 2 fish im holding at the same time i used 10 pd big game and i swear by that line..deff a good strong line to use !!

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have alot of frineds who use BBG and they like it alot. i have switched over to using Power Pro Braid on all of my gear and i like it alot. if i ever go back to mono i will give this a shot. right now i think i will stick with my PP 65#

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree, I used Big Game for quite some time 20-40lb, and never had a problem with it execpt on hangups , it seemed to break off to quick for me.

Went to P-LINE 20-30 clear florocarbon and XXT and never have had that problem since.

19. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I use 30# Big Game on my ABU's - works great!