New Rend Lake Report (Friday)

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Kojak, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ok I am starting to feel like Rend Lake is my favorite fishing hole. I decided to play a little hooky from work today to get some fishing in without being hit by a ton of wakes from huge boats and jetskis. Dillon and I headed out from the Gun Creek ramp at about 6am friday morning. The wind was not being very friendly, barely could get any kind of drift going at all. By 7:30 neither one of us had landed a fish. We decided to go under the 154 bridge and head toward the marina. We started drifting just about 200yrds or so from shore, still not much wind. Dillon caught one that weighed about a pound or so..nothing to get excited about, so we moved. I watched the water to find a channel more toward the middle ( no depth finder), have to do it the old fashoned way. Once we got into a decent drift the fish started hitting, and I mean it almost became more like work than a day off. We had 5 poles in the water all baited with Garlic Shrimp on Brians drift rig, and most of the time all poles had fish on, or were about to. In roughly 2 hours we landed 30 fish with the biggest weighing in at about 7# (Dillons Fish). The spot we were fishing was almost dead in the middle of Gun Creek and the marina, if you have a Rend lake map the spot would be just between Campers point and point one, over by Sandusky. Ill be back out there tomorrow, hope to see someone I know. The only reason we quit was because the Livewells were both too full to keep fish alive, and I didn't want dead fish....Another point, the fish were full of Japenese beetles, and I mean full. So, if there is a way to use em bait you might try, but I think my garlic shrimp did just fine.

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    ahh the japanese beetles strike again! they were all on topwater wednesday hitting on them. it was nutty. everytime you would make a noise on the boat, 15 or so fish would splash at once. they were even swimming right up to the boat and coming up and eating japanese beetles.

3. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well atleast someone has found something those green, fruit and veggie eating B@#&*(*s are good for!!!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    WTG Jerred you have the right bait and a good drift rig and you got it all working for you. I see the boy got the large one again.:smile2: Keep the reports coming.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Shane and I fished the Gun Creek area for a few hours last night. Ended up with 9, the biggest about 6#. When I cleaned them they were loaded with, you guessed it, Japanese Beetles. All fish were caught shallow on cut shad/bluegill.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    there was one in the boat we couldnt wait to throw back:wink::smile2:

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yeah, we had an invasive species flopping around in the boat, didn't we Shane? :confused2::smile2:

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    it made strange quiet noises and i think it may have even been able to walk, but im not real sure.

9. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois

Ok I have to ask a ? here.....What in the heck was it???:confused2::confused2:

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Ha Ha. I'm not touching this one. I'll let Shane answer this one if he wants.........

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    a drunk annoying girl

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Should have deep sixed her. :smile2:

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    about 2 fathoms...

14. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    She was on the boat, someone had to have invited her.:smile2:

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i was just bein nice and it turned out to be a nuisance to us. after the tenth call i just like whatever come on then,