New regulation proposed for Ohio River

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by griz, Aug 24, 2009.

1. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    An extension of the statewide catfish regulations to the Ohio River is being proposed. Ohio River anglers would be allowed only one channel catfish 28 inches or longer with no limit for channel catfish under 28 inches. In addition, only one flathead and one blue catfish 35 inches or longer may be possessed with no limit for flathead and blue catfish under 35 inches.

Open houses will be held at the same day and time in Akron, Athens, Columbus, Findlay, Port Clinton, and Xenia on Saturday, August 29, 2009; from 12:00 noon until 3:00 p.m. Information recorded at these open houses is forwarded to the division's central office in Columbus, where proposed rule changes to the Ohio Administrative Code are considered.

For more information or directions to the open house, please call 1-800-WILDLIFE (945-3543). Proposals and directions can also be accessed via the Internet at wildohio.com.

A statewide hearing on all the proposed rules will be held at 9 a.m. on Thursday, September 10 at the wildlife division's District One Office, located at 1500 Dublin Road in Columbus. After considering public input, the Ohio Wildlife Council will vote on the proposed rules during its October 7 meeting.
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/NewsReleaseArchives/tabid/19075/EntryID/1257/Default.aspx

Not sure if ya'll knew about this or not.

Looks like there will be six regional open houses Aug. 29

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/NewsReleaseArchives/tabid/19075/EntryID/1243/Default.aspx

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    As I understand it, WV DNR regs take precedence on the mainstream twixt Ohio and WV.

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    If you are fishing on an Ohio license you have to abide by Ohio regulations on the mainstream. The loophole would be to by a WV or KY license.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    No, I don't believe you are correct. WV "owns" to the Ohio side.

Anywhere off of the bank and you are in WV.

(Send your rental payments directly to me please! :wink::smile2: )

...West Virginia fishing laws and regulations must be followed when fishing on the Ohio River mainstream and on embayments or tributaries that are within the boundaries of West Virginia .

Ohio fishing laws and Ohio River fishing regulations for the Eastern Unit, which cover the West Virginia / Ohio border, must be followed while fishing on embayments or tributaries that are within the boundaries of Ohio .

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/License.shtm

...West Virginia fishing regulations must be
    followed when fishing on the Ohio River
    proper and on embayments or tributaries
    that are within the boundaries of West
    Virginia.

Ohio River fishing regulations for the
    Eastern Unit must be followed while
    fishing on embayments or tributaries that
    are within the boundaries of Ohio; see
    Ohio Fishing Regulations (Publication
    84).....

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub404.pdf

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well I'm hoping that, here on the western side, if Ohio is considering this that maybe Ky. is too.

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Living in KY, I follow the KY regulations for the mainstream of the Ohio River, UNTIL I enter any backwater or tributary waters on the Ohio side. Then I HAVE to follow Ohio regulations, but I don't need to have an Ohio license, because Ohio and KY have license reprocity with each other in regards to the river.

Direct from Ohio DNR Site:

Western Unit (Kentucky/Ohio border only) – Lawrence County west of South Point, and Scioto, Adams, Brown, Clermont, and Hamilton counties. Ohio and Kentucky will honor the other state’s fishing licenses along their common borders on the mainstem and from the banks of the Ohio River, excluding embayments and tributaries. The following regulations are the only unified regulations in the agreement – for all other regulations, anglers must abide by those of the state by which they are licensed, except that Ohio anglers must abide by Kentucky laws when fishing from the Kentucky shoreline, and Kentucky anglers must abide by Ohio laws when fishing from the Ohio shoreline.

Here's the other from the Ohio DNR site:
    Eastern Unit (West Virginia/Ohio border only) – Lawrence County east of South Point, and Gallia, Meigs, Athens, Washington, Monroe, Belmont, Jefferson, and Columbiana counties. Ohio and West Virginia will honor the other state’s fishing licenses along their common borders on the mainstem of the Ohio River, including its banks and embayments and tributaries to the landmark location listed in Publication 404, Waterfowl Hunting and Fishing on the Ohio River (available online). This agreement applies to Ohio and West Virginia residents only. The following regulations are the only unified regulations in the agreement - for all other regulations, Ohio anglers must abide by West Virginia laws when fishing the river mainstem and its banks, embayments, and tributaries in West Virginia. West Virginia anglers must abide by Ohio laws when fishing from the riverbanks, embayments, and tributaries in Ohio.

Danzig is right.:wink:

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    And there is the source of the confusion!

Ohio "West" goes by state licence, Ohio "east" goes by WV regs.

So, what if you have KY and OH licence holders in the boat?

I think I prefer the simplicity of the "east" reg. Pick one and stick with it, ya know?

8. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I gota tell ya'll first off I never keep catfish unless im fishin in a tournament, 2nd why in the hell are they holding those meetings so dam far away from the ohio river....:confused2:

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Don't know, but there are phone numbers listed for contacts in each district. If you can't make any of the open houses you might can call and voice your opinion. The numbers are at the end of the second link I posted.

10. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I'll do that...thanks griz

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The only difference in regs for us is, kY. unlimited rods- OH. 2 rods. and OH can use gamefish as bait- KY. no gamefish. One of each licence holders in boat- better be only two rods with bass on for bait :smile2:

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    These same proposed rules would have to govern commercial fishing too wouldn't they?

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Good question!

Ya'all have legal CFing down that way as I recall.

14. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

This correct. The reason why WV owns most of the river is because when it was time to build bridges from Ohio to WV, Ohio didn't want to have to pay for most of the bridge construction, but they still wanted access to the river, so they gave all of the river except the first ten feet to WV.

15. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't think I like these proposed regulations. that still seems like too many fish could be kept. I like the idea that they are are not allowing big fish to be kept, but I think they should put a specific number on the amount of smaller fish that could be kept. Don't get me wrong, I like to eat catfish, but there are plenty of panfish to be eaten also.

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If they do put these new regs in to effect it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the tournys. If the law states only 1 fish over a certain size then I assume that is all you can turn in at a tourny.

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The way the reciprocal agreement beteen KY. and OH. is written, I think alot will depend on what KY. does. I emailed our Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources asking about the future of catfishing regulations. This is the answer I got back-

"At this time we are gathering information on a possible limit or limits with the catfish and hopefully in the near future we’ll have that too."