Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a catfish meeting with the mo dept conservation tonight. It was part of two or three stake holder meetings at various parts of the lake. There was about 20-30 people there and it lasted about 2 hours. What they are wanting to do is in 2011 start a slot limit for blues in the 24 to 34inch range protected. With 2 over the slot per person per day. The only question is either 5 or 10 fish per day.

Nothing officially done yet. I think everyone here has an opinion, does this sound like a good idea? The numbers and projections are really impressive 10 years down the line. Lots of big catfish plus lots of keepers for the frying pan.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
for a real improvement in my opinion they need to push for none over 34 inches kept

because 2 over 34 inches per person being able to be kept isnt gonna improve big fish numbers in my opinion

most people fish with friends or family so 4 to 8 large fish can still be kept

its a start but why keep baby steping it every ten years or so

make it none over what ever length limmit kept period this should apply to catfish tournaments also !!!! none allowed in the live well or stringer over the length limmit

my 2 cents

thanks for the update !!!

· Registered
921 Posts
for a real improvement in my opinion they need to push for none over 34 inches kept

because 2 over 34 inches per person being able to be kept isnt gonna improve big fish numbers in my opinion

most people fish with friends or family so 4 to 8 large fish can still be kept

its a start but why keep baby steping it every ten years or so

make it none over what ever length limmit kept period this should apply to catfish tournaments also !!!! none allowed in the live well or stringer over the length limmit

my 2 cents

thanks for the update !!!

I think this would be a great plan! BUT, I have a question related more to the Big Rivers.... If MDC passes a law with new limits, what are the chances that IL will follow, or apply the same?

On the MO side we'll let em go, but if you're from IL, they can keep em. (Mississippi River).

· Registered
304 Posts
I think this would be a great plan! BUT, I have a question related more to the Big Rivers.... If MDC passes a law with new limits, what are the chances that IL will follow, or apply the same?

On the MO side we'll let em go, but if you're from IL, they can keep em. (Mississippi River).

We can only wish they would do this on the rivers in Missouri. The new regs they are trying to pass are only for Truman and the LOZ.

· Registered
1,979 Posts
I have to agree with Scotty on this one. I like the Ideal of the slot limit but allowing Two fish over the slot makes NO sense to me at all. In my opinion 5-10 fish under 24 inchs per person will still allow the angler to eat fish, If any thing allow him One fish in the 24-34 slot and nothing over. What ever they do I hope it's state wide and not just on Truman and Loz.
Just my opinion!!

· Registered
2,653 Posts
This new propsal should make all the defference in the world. with the protected slot of 24"-34" and only 2 fish over 34" there will be a lot less bigger fish harvested. Say what you will, but the bottom line is that there are way too many limits of big fish leaving the lake everyday.

· Registered
123 Posts
I agree with Scotty, you have to have no exceptions limit or people will fix the numbers to their liking by doing what crappie anglers do all the time, fudge the numbers with people or clean the fish and go back out for some more of your "daily" limit. Two, things like this only apply to honest people, sort of like trying to pass gun laws. Until you get a 2k fine and permanent loss of fishing and hunting priveledges people will do what they want. I personally have never been stopped or checked by a MDC agent in over 20 years of being on various bodies of water. Until the enforcement and penalty is substantial enough to keep people from bending the rules, all you are doing is preaching to the people who already believe. This is not an area that you can try to the the PC thing and appease everyone, you have to do what is right for the fishery and the 98% of the people who like to catch fish and have an occasional fish fry, not the 2% who feel the need to have 5 oversized freezers stuffed with fillets or the commercial guys (not all but many) who do whatever the damn well please, especially on the Missouri River.

· Registered
231 Posts
i under stand the attemps to make it better and i hope they do. but when i hear about no fish over 34" it sounds wrong. that would be like saying you cant shoot a buck over 150" or a turkey over 25lbs with an 11" beard. not sure the right answer. but hope they get it right

· Registered
4,380 Posts
i under stand the attemps to make it better and i hope they do. but when i hear about no fish over 34" it sounds wrong. that would be like saying you cant shoot a buck over 150" or a turkey over 25lbs with an 11" beard. not sure the right answer. but hope they get it right
Im no cpr guy at all If i want to keep fish i will clean them

if i dont want to clean fish I throw them all back

all im saying is if they make the new rule as a person can still keep 2 fish over 34 inches well thats not gonna help much at all protecting the big fish

they have baby stepped the rules waaaaay to slow in my opinion if they want to protect the big fish then do it all the way none over 34 inches period

hell ya can still fish for them and catchem just have to throw them back is all

being able to keep 2 fish over 34 inches isnt gonna do much at all in my opinion most will be keeping them for sure then and the set line guys will keep on keeping them also !!!!

to me the slot limmit should be ya can only keep them from say 3 or 5 lbs to 20 lbs

and release all the big ones !!!!

or make it easy and keep what ever ya want up to 5 or 10 under 34 inches or what ever they feel is the max length limmit .

that would do more for the lakes in the short term and long term ..

· Registered
984 Posts
I'm no fish biologist and haven't conducted any studies so I can't say what what would work best. But I sure am glad to see MDC taking a crack at protecting catfish with some type of regulation. I guess we have no choice but to trust they are doing their best to balance interests with the information available to them at this time.

· Registered
4,408 Posts
I am going to follow this post/issue really close.
South of you, in Arkansas, we are facing the same thing. Members of our club and myself are wanting to follow Oklahoma and other states and see a 30" rule go in effect. I am in contact with people in Alabama and getting their info. A buddy of mine is looking into Oklahoma on this.
I like the slot limit you are wanting, but a 30" rule would be good too.
Good luck, and again, I will follow this thread.
I have a Missouri license and fish up there, so I am interested in Missouri catfishing.

· Registered
231 Posts
i read that the average fisherman only catches one catfish over 20lbs in their life. now i know this might seem carzy but most people on this site are not average fishermen. that being said how many of them are going to throw back their biggest fish ever caught. i once took my cousin snagging he caught a 17lb spoonbill. he would not throw it back because it was the biggest fish he'd ever caught.im for something to change to help fix the catfish population. just not sure how. the way i think would help is to change the trout lines and limb lines 33 hooks. 24 hours a day. i know people who cant catch a 10lb catfish with a pole. but these same people trout line the crap out of 20s,30s,40s,and 50lbs fish. thats not fair.

· Registered
1,979 Posts
First off, I just want to show my appreciation for the effort the dept. is putting forth to help preserve and improve our sport, but they have to realize its not the average fishermen, and/or him and his family down at the lake on the weekend thats ever gonna impact the size or numbers of fish we have. Its the Die hard pole guys and the set liners that target big fish on a regular basis that would have the potential to hurt our numbers.

Here is where I have a problem with the Two over 34 part. (hypothetical scenario) A guy takes his family fishing this weekend and one of them lands a 40 pound catfish, Biggest fish any of them have ever seen. Should they be able to keep it? or just take a picture and release it. I would say the choice should be there's. Back at the boat ramp Three guys are coming in from running there set lines from the night before, they had 33 hooks a piece, all there lines were clearly marked with there name and address and they had a Hell of a night, they caught so many fish that they threw all the smaller fish back and only kept six fish from 35-60 pounds. Do I think they Should have kept all six of those big fish? Doesn't matter what I think, they didn't break they law.
I'm not trying to start a big Hoop La, I eat fish too. I just don't think allowing any angler to keep two fish per day over 34 inch's, is making a very good effort to preserve our big fish!!!!
Just my opinion

· Registered
4,380 Posts
ok heres some truth to this matter in my opinion

after truman dam was finished in the late 70s and truman filled up and they started dumping good amounts of water from the dam

the fishing was truely unbeilable I remeber dad and the nieghbors not taking stringers but wagons and wheelborrows to haul the fish back to the truck .

keep in mind very few people back then had good equipment no big sinkers most used spark plugs and the biggest poles they could find .

very few had surf rods back then or 5 to 8 ounce sinkers some did but the majority didnt .

set linners hammerd the lake hard and as the older generation retired they moved or got a small lake house ect and fished hard on the catfish and loaded up .

now comes the 1980s surf rods and better equipment was more available and the fishing still exsploded below the dam every spring when water was comming out of the dam is was a catfishing paradise

then more set lines then ever it seemed everybody caught tons of fish .

then a few had john boats and started rod and reel fishing for cats on a regular basis
including me and my family with junky equipment and caught tons of fish year after year .

this was due to the fish naturally comming up stream with good current flow out of the dam from many miles of river below , kinda like a sammon run and bunched up below the dam around the warsaw area .

then came the remote controlled boats to drop baits right at the dam wall in the late 80s and early 90s again and still tons of big fish caught and kept .

they outlawed the remote controlled boats and put a 10 fish limmit on blues

still many many set linners had lines out allmost year round and caught fish .

the fishing in 1993 and 1995 was truely unbelievable due to the dam running allmost all spring threw fall , we bottomed bounced in the current back then and was easy to catch 300 to 800 lb days over and over

I got so greedy i would use 2 hooks about 2 to 4 foot up the line from my sinker and catch 2 catfish at the same time over and over and ended up with alot of good fish breaking me off . lol cheap wally world 30 lb test ya know the shakesspear 1 $ rolls

anyway those 2 flood years once again brought up fish from way down stream ,

by then more and more catfish boats seemed to be around and we all had much better equipment to tackle them in with .

but even way back then a fish over 50 lbs was not that often and a 70 lber caught by rod and reel was far and few between . Trust me i new the top catmen that fished regulary in warsaw .
most fish was 20 to 40 lbs caught and alot of them !!! 50s here and there

now lets look at today

the older set linners are fadding out I see less trott lines every year on lake of the ozarks but see more and more rod and reel catfisherman .

1 trottlinner has 33 hooks in the water most rod and reel fisherman until just a few years ago was only allowed 3 poles a piece

so see for every trottlinner that has given it up less hooks in the water ,,

so even with more rod and reelfisherman be added every year I feel it has balanced out on pressure .

just look at the reports last 3 flood years tons and tons of 20 to 40 lbers caught by anybody that fishes the lake rod and reel regulary !!!!!

and every year 60s and a few 70s caught along with tons of fish under 10 lbs

so the spawning is doing its job wonderfully for the catfish numbers .

my noodling buddies keep getting flatheads over 80 lbs year after year in the same stretches of the lakes last year i seen pics of a 90 lber and 104 or 7 lber cant remeber wich it was now on truman . trumans flathead population has done nothing but grow and get better over the years !!!!

sure they may have been more big bluecat fish 30 years ago

But its still 1 hell of a catfishing paradise that has tons of 20 to 40 lbers in it i feel the numbers in this range are just as good now as back then !!!!

lake of the ozarks and truman are allmost as far north as your gonna find bluecats and the growing season is much slower then lakes down south like wheeler

no matter whats put in place I dont see in any of our lifetimes going out and catching 10 fish over 50 lbs on a regular basis its just not gonna happen ..

didnt happen 30 years ago and not gonna happen 30 years from now !!!!!!

maybe this is the reason why the conservation dept is fine with allowing 2 fish over 34 inches being able to be kept
they probably feel as I do plenty of big fish left and the catfish spawn is doing fine and dandy to replace whats being took out !!!

I hear that the new law is going to make the daily limmit on bluecats from 5 now to 10 a piece .

why would they move it back to 10 fish being able to be kept if they didnt feel we had good catfish numbers ???

heres somthing else to think about look at the bottom half of lake of the ozarks so many lake homes now and people having huge boats and jet skies its allmost impossible to fish the last 20 miles of river towards bagnell dam in a boat due to the boat traffic and huge waves .

so the fish in this area have little to none fishing pressure !!!!!

this new reg is a start to save big fish but again I will stress stop baby stepping it every 10 years

I feel make it none over 34 inches and get it over with or its not gonna help that much at all ... Im not 100 %% even sure they need to change anything ..

the reason why i feel this way is because again less old time trottliners setting out lines now and also the cpr movement that most out of towners do on fish over 10 lbs .

say what ya want about me but i turn lose more big fish then anybody on the lake of the ozarks from rod and reel and keep my fair share also at times ..

trust me the last 3 flood years have brought up many bluecats from way down the lake and the fishing has been as good as ever trip after trip 100 to 800 lbs worth being caught by me and others !!!!

now if we get a few years with very little water flow from the dam the fishing wont be as good in the warsaw area as they move back down stream ..

that dosnt mean they have all been caught and killed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
231 Posts
i had for got about the boats below the dam. i was a kid when my dad and all of the uncles thur down to buy it. most of the time dad said you couldnt get all the way to the dam befor one bite the hook and had to release the pinchers. that brings back my days of running up and down those rocks.

· Registered
55 Posts
Scotty, Great read.

I now the MDC has alot of studys done on these. Look what they did to the deer and turkey here in missouir. They know what they are doing.

With being said. Everyone has an opion and so do I. I would like to see 1 fsh kept over 30". The reason is kids. Think about taking a kid fishing and he(she) lands a fish of there dreams.

Think about, Dad is out with the family. They have caught some smaller fish and kept them. Johnny hooks on to a nice 40 lber, after fighting this fish for 30 minutes dad finally gets it in the boat. High fives everywhere. Now dad has to tell johnny its to big and we have to throw it back. THAT JUST AIN'T RIGHT.

· Registered
811 Posts
i read that the average fisherman only catches one catfish over 20lbs in their life. now i know this might seem carzy but most people on this site are not average fishermen. that being said how many of them are going to throw back their biggest fish ever caught. i once took my cousin snagging he caught a 17lb spoonbill. he would not throw it back because it was the biggest fish he'd ever caught.im for something to change to help fix the catfish population. just not sure how. the way i think would help is to change the trout lines and limb lines 33 hooks. 24 hours a day. i know people who cant catch a 10lb catfish with a pole. but these same people trout line the crap out of 20s,30s,40s,and 50lbs fish. thats not fair.

Ok first of all it is Trot Lines, never seen a person catch a trout on one of them. This isnt the place to argue about alternative methods of fishing. Too many threads have been closed because the topic is a heated one. If you want something changed use your voice and contact your elected officials and local conservation department. While i agree that things need to be changed as long as they are doing it legally can not really say anything about it. Also, despite large fish being caught on trot lines and alternative methods, many large fish are caught via rod and reel, just need to put your time in and learn where you need to be to catch the larger fish or large amounts of fish. And just to let you know, the majority of the people on this site practice CPR, even with the largest fish they ever caught, my suggestion is do your part, CPR all fish over a certain weight, and help promote the sport of catfishing as a tru game fish by calling your elected officials and presenting the facts to them.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.