new reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bigrob2530, Apr 27, 2008.

1. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    iam looking to get a new reel for fishing from the bank on the three rivers in pittsburgh can any one help me i wnat somethin that can hold alot of line also wat line is good to use for big cats thanks ??????????????

2. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hello there,

you are at the right spot... i would suggest an abu garcia 6500....i like c3 models...anything abu garcia and you are talking about quailty and lasting a lifetime. i would get an ugly stick with the 6500 and some ande or caj red line......hope this helps

3. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    what pound test would you get and how would you rig up the rod thanks

4. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    depends what your after mate...i suppose catfish...20-50lb would be enough...also this site has everything to whats going on in the world to how to catch yur trophy flat or blue...

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    If you are looking for a big line capacity, a tough as nails reel, and a good cast, the Penn 209-309 fits the bill. The Penn jigmasters or squidders for long distance casts are great as well...

Can't go wrong with the Ugly Stiks....

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    First of all. Are you looking for a baitcaster or spincast reel?? What's your price range? There is so many choices out there. If you are looking at baitcasters, Abu Garcia is a very dependable brand. So is Penn reels. Prices range from 50 bucks to over $ 200 depending on how fancy you want to go. Okuma reels have gained alot of respect with there spincast models. They are priced very reasonable too. For myself I prefer baitcasters for catfishing. They offer more cranking power and have strong gears. I also like the castability of baitcasters too. For starters I would go with 20# test line. It all depends on what cats you are persueing. Good luck on your purchase!!:0a26:

7. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I haven't tried the baitcasters yet, but I love the cabelas salt striker I have, great reel for under $50 throw it on a 7' MH Ugly Stick Catfish for another $30 get some berkely big game an around 25-30lb and you should be ok for under $100.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Robert welcome to the BOC, I would chose a Abu 6000 or 6500C3.

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Im with the other guys,Abu Garcia reels are great reels that will last you forever. I have 2-6600 C4,1-5600AB,and 1-6000 and they are the bomb. I orderd a ABU RCN60HC saturday and I cant wait to get it and try it out.

10. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    ALRIGHT THANKS FOR THE HELP