New reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisherman94580, Mar 4, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just got back from wal mart, and I finally decided to get the shakespeare skp2000, for 30 bucks. Feels and looks like a good reel and cast pretty good. Gonna mount her on a 9 ft. glowstik. Maybe in a few weeks I'll catch a biggun.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Take care of the reel, oil the pawl and level wind quite frequently, and if you get sand in the mechanism, clean the reel. It should last for years. And, good luck with the cats.

3. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well after inspecting it real good i noticed that on the inside where the spool is there is somethink that looks like blue ink smeared on it. So sometime this week I'm gonna return it, and I might just go ahead and return it and get the shakespeare tidewater baitcasting reel. Do you guys think that would be better? Because I've heard alot better reviews from the tidewater than the skp

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Exchange it for the tidewater. The blue smear is probably grease, but I've had two of these, and they don't seem to want to reel in anything bigger than two pounds! They get real sticky. A friend of mine bought one of the tidewaters. It's beefy, and casts alot like a penn 320gti I've got. It seems to be alot better reel than the skp2000, and for only about 6.00 more.