New reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Rainman4u2, Jan 24, 2007.

Which One for my new reel?

1. PENN 209M

2. PENN 309M

3. PENN GTO Levelwind

4. PENN GTI Levelwind

5. Don't bother, stay with your Abu 7000

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

So, I already have an Abu 7000 for my 10' Ugly stick, and I was thinking of moving to a Penn reel.

Which do you think would be better?

Ray

2. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    If you have the new abu 7000ic3 with the carbon matrix drag i'd say stick with that although their is nothing wrong with the penns i like the 310 gti.
    or just buy one of the penns and compare the 2 and post your findings then sell which one you don't like.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Either one is a great reel which should handle any cat and double as a nice salt water outfit.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I guess it depends on what you are looking to spend. the gti's cost a little more than the others (for a reason) but the others are good. Id recommend either the gto or the gti because of the eise of use and the higher gear ratio.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you want a great new experience try out a Shimano or Penn level wind with the lever drag.You can adjust the drag to use like the "Bait Feeder"options on the spinning reels.I have the Shimano Charter Special 2000LD and also the Penn 345 GTI Star Drag to use.Both are great heavy freshwater,saltwater and tidewater reels where you are subject to hooking up with a big Bull Shark as well as a large Blue Cat.The Shimano is also small enough to be used to catch your bait if you just wish to carry one rod and reel.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Go with what ya know and trust. If the performance of the ABU meets your expectations and needs than why switch. JMO

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE ABU 7000 (WHICH IS A GREAT REEL) BUT YOU JUST WANT ANOTHER REEL TRY A PENN GTI EITHER A 310 OR 320 THE 320 IS ABOUT LIKE THE 7000 I THINK, SO DEPENDING IF YOU WANT SOMETHING BIGGER OR SMALLER, I HAVE BOTH THE 310 AND THE 320. I ALSO HAVE THE ABU 7000 WHICH IN MY OPINION ARE THE SMOOTHEST CASTING REELS, BUT THE PENNS HAVE AN AWESOME DRAG.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hey if u got a Abu 7000 why u wont to change? The 7000 will catch any cat out there.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kind of like moving from Bud Lite to Bud Select.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Never cared for Bud beers, can you suggest an alternative?:big_smile: :big_smile:

11. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    reels are like woman,you gotta try them all out at least once:haha:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Remember the old statement " I would Rather Fight Than Switch". I've used them all but I would stay with the 7000c3. You want be sorry.:lol:

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Try Miller light, It taste great but it's less filling:lol: .

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Rainman4u2 , Peewee along with others have given you Great Info! What he said specificly about the the Lever Drag is one of the Best options you will find. The comfort of having the Lever rather than a Star will quickly pay dividens. I have Shimano and Okuma with the Lever Drag system and have made it a point to look for this feature when considering a New purchase. If you are going to try something New, make sure that the reel is a Lever Drag at least. The level wind is a matter of choice as well. Is it required by everyone NO! I personally would rather have it. Am I a tackel tart, I guess Yes by some standards. Yet I manitain and use what I have when it is needed. That is the way that I was taught. "Use the right tool for the JOB." JMHO!!!!!!

HOPPY4

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The survey included 209's. These are great reels, but are heavy and are not exactly distance casting reels. I bought the two I have because of the price, reliability, and ability to handle big fish. However, had I the money, I would have gotten another reel. After playing with a lever drag, unfortunately, at the store and not on the water, a reel with one on it is something I'd really like to give a try.