New Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Stlnifr, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well I got a new reel ABU 6500 C3. It was either this one or the Penn 310 GTi the ABU won out.

2. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Good choice for what my opinions is worth. I've got a Penn 320 GTI I would trade for a 6500 any day.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I second the good choice comment. I am an abu man, myself, although I won't slight any reel or reel type out there... everybody is entitiled to their opinion.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thats a Super Reel. You will have a Hard Time wearing that Baby out in My Opinion. J.D.
    P.S.
    Now Go Catch a Fish ! LOL
    :0a18:

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I love mine. Smooth casting, good distance, and strong drag. I'm waiting for a 25+ lb blue to take the bait.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I hope you enjoy your as much as I enjoy mine. It is a nice reel

7. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd be interested in knowing why you chose the ABU. I am looking at getting a new reel and I have been considering the Penn 321 GTi (left hand model).

I already have a couple of ABUs and Penns (different models though).

What were the deciding factors for you ?

8. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you would could you give your opinion on, why that is ? Is there some feature about the Penn that you do not like ?

I am currently considering getting one of the 321 GTi (lefty version of the 320 GTi) models and I am curious why you prefer the ABU in this case.

Is it castability or some other reason ?

I already have a couple of both ABUs and Penns - different models though. I was looking to upgrade.

9. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have owned abu's all my life and never owned a Penn after reading all post on BOC on both reels from members post, checking out the web pages of both I felt I needed to go with something I am already comfortable with.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    George, no need to justify the decision. Your choice was a good one. The Penn is a might fine reel, but the 6500 will do the job, is lighter, and a joy to cast.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U made a good choice. Abus are favor reels, they perform well for me.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Not long after the previous post, I picked up an almost new Penn 209 for $30. It will be interesting to compare it to my 6500c3. Heavy sucker, though.

13. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Congrats on the new reel !

Ive been thinking about upgrading to the new drag for my older model 6500 c3 when I get some extra time.

I own both the penn 310 gti & abu 6500 c3 & i'll have to go with Hans on this one. My reel of choice would be the 310 gti which I think beats the 6500 in every dept except casting.

I guess its the similar price range, but Im suprised to see everyone comparing these reels. I think the better rival for the 310 gti would be the abu 7000 c3. I'd love to hear the thoughts from people who own both.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I'm not sure you really can compare the Penn reels and the Abu's, they are very different in so many ways. Either the Penn you have or th 7000 will do some serious hauling in of catfish, either is a good way to go. The 7000 probably casts easier, the Penn's are tough.

15. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    There are things to be taken into considerration. Such as the size of the fish you catch , the conditions etc. along witk preference i would probably feel more comfortable using apenn 310 or 209 or a reel along that line if i had to pull a large flattie out of heavy cover , of course thats personal opinion.

16. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do not own the penn model you compared so I can not say anything about that but I do own several Abu's both 6500c3 and c4 and they work great and cast great.

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    congrats on buying the new reel.my friend hade abu 6500(carpmaster)and that would cast a country mile,im sure yours will do the same.

18. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have the penn 309 and penn 9,the 309 is not much on casting but it feels so solid and im sure the 209 will haul in the biguns.and congrats on your purchase.

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Well, after fishing with the 209 I bought, mounted on the same model rod as my 6500c3, my conclusion is comparing those two is like comparing apples to oranges. I cast farther for a given weight with the 6500, the 6500 is smoother. But, the 209 is sorta like having a winch on your truck, it doesn't notice the weight you are reeling in. Th3e 6500 has a significantly faster retrieve ration. Either would handle a mighty big fish in open water. But, I'd have to admit, that the 209 winch characteristics are more favorable for fishing heavy cover and heavy lines.

20. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have both and some abu 7000's, 9000's, and 10000's and penn gti 310. 320 and 330 they are ALL good reels.... its just what you want to use em for

as far as 6500 and 310 gti.... i have the 6500 on long poles... 8-10 footers and they cast forever..... but between these 2...id rather have the gti when going up against a larger fish any day. to me the 6500 with some 30lb big game can tackle any channel cat and lots of flatheads in open water to 60 lbs.... but when around cover id rather have the cranking power of the gti

btw... any of those 2 reels with proper rod and line will pop a 10 lb catfish in the boat like them bass boys do with those 2 lb bass they hoot and hollar about

suey