new reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by danyelle, Oct 6, 2005.

1. danyelle

danyelle New Member

I stopped in a local sporting goods store just to look around. I've been looking for another baitfeeder spinning reel. This shop was a big time bass shop, not much for catfish equipment. I was about to give up and leave when i seen this fairly big reel sitting in the corner of a glass case. It was a shimano thunnus 6000f. I never heard of a thunnus before, and i noticed it had a baitrunner drag. I asked the salesman about it he said it was a special order for someone and they never picked it up.He said it was a $200 reel. it sat in the stock room for a year. THe boss said that it would never sell for that so they priced it for $50.
    HE showed me the cost invoice in the box $160. I bought it it seems like a stout reel.It was a little higher than what i was shopping for . i was considering okuma corrida for around $40. oh well i just went over by $10. does anyone know anything about the shimano thunnus and whether or not they are really $200 reels?
    my rigs are 1 10bearing so60 baitfeeder on a 8ft glowstick with 20# trilene, 1 mitchell fullrunner fs4000 with 30# fireline on a 7ft berkley big game rod, and now a shimano thunnus 6000f with 20# trilene on a 8ft hitech ol whiskers rod
    thanks , Eric

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That's a $220 reel. Great buy at $50.00!!!! :)

I would sell it on E-bay for $150 and buy yourself three or four Abu Garcia Amabassadeur 5000's used on E-Bay and some Ugly Stik rods from Wal-Mart!!!!

If you prefer spinning reels you are in good shape.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would keep the reel, it is much better than an Abu in my opinion. I have the shimano baitrunners in the 4500 and 6500 sizes and I wouldnt trade them for anything. And yes I have tried them all.

4. danyelle

danyelle New Member

hey wyliecat i've never used baitcasters. although i must admit listening to all you boc members it has gotten my curiosity. what about okuma classic baitcasters. if i am going to experiment i probably need something cheap

5. danyelle

danyelle New Member

jaync, yea i am gonna keep it. i can't wait to try it out . I've dreamed about shimano baitrunners. Just didn't know anything about thunnus. Thanks for the input
    Eric

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Man you stole that reel at that price.... :D Sounds like you all set now for anything that comes your way.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Danyelle I have not fished with the okuma classic baitcaster. They are not that expensive, but I would spend $5 more and get the Penn Roddy 175. I don't think you can go too wrong through, you will only be out $28-$30, and then again it may turn out to be the best reel you've got!!

8. DrummerCat

DrummerCat New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    danyelle, I have a Classic Pro 302L and it's a bit difficult to throw with light weight ...say anything under 3 ounces. But then again it's not any harder to throw than my Penn 320 GT2 ...those two reels are roughly the same size with the roughly the same line capacity.

If your going to experiment with a baitcaster I wouldn't pick either of the two I mentioned above ...they are not for the beginner in my opinion. I would experiment with the Abu 6000 or 6500 which is by far easier to throw and a much more forgiving reel. Once you get the hang of it (which won't take long), you'll love it. And yes, you’ll pay more for a Abu than a Okuma Classic Pro but I can almost guarantee you that you’ll use it far more often. A bigger reel like a 302L or a 320 will have you in fits if you first starting to learn baitcasters.

And yes, you pretty much stole that Thunnus, lol.

9. danyelle

danyelle New Member

hey , those roddy 175 look pretty sharp, and for $35. hmmm, abu 6001 ,6501, or roddy for a rookie baitcaster? i've got all winter to figure it out since i probably won't get one until spring

10. danyelle

danyelle New Member

Is the thunnus as good as the baitrunner's. If so i wonder why they quit making them? Probably price

11. danyelle

danyelle New Member

my bad ,they still make them i seen them in the 2006 shimano catalog

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    How do you sleep at night after you stole that thing. LOL Cant go wrong with shimano, abu garcia or penn in any reel. My personal favorite for spinning reels are shimano's. Ive had 3 different ones for over 10 years and still work great.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    danyelle I picked up a 300L classic for $28 shipping included (e-bay)for the money spent, nice reel. I'd agree with drummer they arent as smooth casting as abus but they are a good enough reel to throw on a big live bait and let it sit for buba. Id try it if it aint working for you set it aside till you get use to baitcasters. I sometimes will have to loosen up the cast brake on it and use my thumb to get the distance I want because the lack of smoothness but man what a drag its got. I dont know if I've seen a left handed model though and I dont know personally but I read some bad things about the roddy.