New Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Spider, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I bought myself a Christmas present on eBay; an ABU Classic Inshore 5501 reel. I wanted another medium sized reel for fishing a local river that isn't all that big and a creek compared to some. Anyway, I came across this reel on a Buy Now and got it for all but 50% off the average selling price. It's a 3 bearing (2 SS & Roller). It comes with an oversize handle and an aluminum frame top cross brace. I added a pair of "Reel Grips" and also installed a clicker kit I had. It's a bit of a "Hope you don't screw up" when cutting the side cover for the clicker. It was my second clicker install and this one went much cleaner and quicker than the first. The only thing I'd still like to do is replace the levelwind with a 2 bearing one and a bearing cog wheel. Otherwise, the reel is great.

Attached Files:

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    that is nice. i just got me a new snaggn rod and am getting a penn 339. the caddy of bait casters they say.:eek:oooh: we will see.... good looking reel tho.:big_smile:

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Congrats on the southpaw reel, and the mods!! I've not "cut" any sideplates yet, glad it worked out!!:wink::big_smile: Sounds like it'll be a nice addition to your accumulation!!

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Looks nice Larry!:cool2:

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    It's not really that big a deal to cut the clicker lever slot in the sideplate. It's more a matter of being very careful and measuring accurately.
    I'm glad that I tried it because the 5000 series reels do not come with a clicker. I don't generally use circle hooks and I lost one rod to "tightline" fishing near home. I now have two setups for each type of fishing I generally do. When I saw the Inshore reel on ebay at like 50% in the price I couldn't resist.

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I'm glad the clicker mod worked out for you. Although, I have a couple of 5601C4's and they have factory clickers. Not the copper strip type either. It's a real nice contraption.:big_smile:

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Wow they make a 339? I have a 309 and that thing reels in Flatheads like bluegills. Good luck when you get it, post a review after receiving it and using it.

8. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    let me know if you want an abu 6501 in the box i dont need a lefty

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Looks like a winner Larry good luck with it:wink: