New Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Trahviiz, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    My cousin gave me this reel yesterday, he couldn't figure out how to use it and didn't feel like learning. It seems to be in perfect condition, no scratches or broken parts, just a little dirty, and has a very loud clicker. He said it was a salt water reel, the name is Haddon 409. Anyone have any experience with it? I'd like to know about it before I use it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is a baitcasting reel just push the lever on the side down to disengage the spool, and let here fly, be prepared for alot of backlashes untill you get used to it.

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I think the spelling is Heddon , they are simmilar to the penn and lake city reels.They are pretty easy to maintain and alot of people still use them today.It does take some time to learn how to cast but once you get it you can cast anything.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i actually have a reel just like that it isn't a halden, but the same type of baitcaster. those are not made to cast, like an abu 7000 or some of the smaller Penn's. they are actually designed to be let out over the side of a boat/behind it so that they can be bounced off the bottom on a down rigger, or trolled behind the boat. casting one very far will be somewhat hard and distance will be impossible. just my experiance with the type. the ones that i own are PENN 309 Level wind. they are all on trolling rods, although i have had them on others to see if they would cast. they would be good reels for bumping or fishing directly below the boat. as far as big fish go, they are the type of reel made to catch big salt water fish.

5. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info guys.

That was more along the lines of what I was looking for Jeremy. I mastered my Abu reel pretty quickly, but I'm finding this one to be pretty damn complicated.

I guess I'll keep trying until there's no line left to nest. :smile2:

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    they just aren't made to cast like the normal baitcasters if that makes sense they are made to be trolled or deep riggered. they are salt water reels, good ones but not what you want to throw like and Abu 7000 .

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy:!!!!!!!YA!!!!!!:crazy: