New Reel Repair Forum

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Abu, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    MUDHOLE KID, I started this new post in hopes of a reel repair forum here in the Repair Help section so everyone can add their tips, tricks, upgrages and alot of reels can be repaired with others help here from the BOC. You were correct, our thread about purchasing reels from auctions strayed too far away from topic. I nominate Corn as Captain. :) I don't think there is a reel made he can't fix. Abu

2. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm here and I'll stay tuned in Bro. :D

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    A couple of other members on reel repair.
    Corn of course. jimmy(canebreaker) and a couple others I can't place.
    Reel destrution? Now that'd have to be me ;)
    This looks to be a great section guys. Great idea!

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Have any of you fellers heard of an Ocean City 110 reel or a Penn 25? I was trying to find some information on them for another one of our members.

5. Bosshawg

Bosshawg New Member

State:
    Madisonville, TX
    The reel repair thread is a great idea! On the same token I think that reel maintenance can not be over emphasized. Alot of repairs can be avoided with the proper maintenance and care. I have several Abu6000 reels, had em for several years with heavy use and have'nt had one of em fail on me. I chalk that up to being because I break em down at least every other month, piece by piece wash every part in a mild soap to get all the gunked up grease/sand/dirt out. Then as I put it back together I grease all the gears, and oil everything else. Only thing I have had to replace is the pawl and the fixed axle that the pawl rides on (the most common problem parts) and of course the line. If I don't do that maintenance I notice a drastic decrease in my casting distance and a "jumpy" drag. In my opinion the best way to avoid a repair is maintenance/preventive maintenance. Good Luck to all!

Jerome

GOD GRANT THAT I MAY LIVE TO FISH... UNTIL MY DYING DAY. & WHEN MY FINAL CAST IS MADE I THEN MOST HUMBLY PRAY... WHEN IN THE LORDS LANDING NET. I'M PEACEFULLY ASLEEP. THAT IN HIS MERCY I BE JUDGED AS GOOD ENOUGH TO KEEP.

6. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    fish, I have seen a few of the older Penn Monofil 25 reels. They are a big conventional reel with a star drag and no levelwind. Usually get one in nice shape for under $20 on ebay. The Penn 25 GLS (Graphite Lever Drag Senator) is a newer graphite series without a levelwind, has four Stainless Steel Ball Bearings, Gear Ratio of 4.3:1, Line Capacity (lbs/yds): 20/475, Reel Weight 20 oz. I am not familiar with the Ocean City 110 reels, maybe somebody will come along and give some info, if not I will track them down with a search.

Bosshawg, I agree on the maintenance. If I feel any of my reels are not performing as they should I tear them apart and some cleanup, grease and oil in the right place saves them from a premature failure. Another thing I am careful around is sand, I try to keep my reels off the ground when fishing in a sandy spot. Abu

7. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I don't know how much oil you use ,but you may want to keep it out of the gear area,reason being your drag system is in there too.If that oil gets into the drag washers you're out of a drag.Get you some drag grease if you need it.I think appling a light grease in the gears is a good thing ,just be careful with your drag system.If they are soaked in grease wash the washers with soap and get them as oil free as possible,it'll help with your drag.(don't have to wrench it down as hard) :D

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks Abu for the information, I appreciate your help. Gene wrote me and told me about the Ocean City reels. Sounds like you really know your reels buddy.

9. Bosshawg

Bosshawg New Member

State:
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks for the tip Mudhole, never have put any oil in the gears ONLY grease but if you had'nt said anything I might have tried it one day if I was in a pinch with no grease. Thanks again!!

Jerome

God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray That in his mercy I be judged as big enough to keep.

10. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Where are you going to put the 3 x 7 x 3 bearings you bought? Is that the level wind bearings you're going to try? Let me know if they fit like they should.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    With such a wide range of weights and diameters in lines now,it would seem to be very easy to abuse and even destroy a reel,with the drag.I would like to know the maximum drag setting for a Penn 345 GTI Super Level Wind 5/0 Graphite Reel.This way,I would know the max.practacal line weight & drag setting to use,reguardles of the dia.,if I wished to respool.I am asking this,as my grandchrildren are big and strong.They are smart.They know that a reel can only be set down in the sand,and must be full of sand to work.I do not wish to find out how smart they are about the drag,or I would ask them this question.Thanks, peewee

12. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I really don't know that much about the Penn reels ,but I think that the reels can handle the pull.It's a straight pull on the reel and if the drag don't slip the rods gonna break or the line is gonna break.I really don't see how it can bust a gear or strip a gear.Drags protect your reel.I do suggest when you go out to fish,loosen your drag and strip off a few feet to work your drag.When a reel sits the drag wants to stick,especially if it's real tight.Some other men may disagree with me but I don't think tighting the drag down will harm the reel as far as the pull goes.The only thing that I see could happen is you could warp the spool axle which if you do that you're abusing it for sure.

13. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    peewee williams, the Penn website shows a 345GTI rated for 375 yards of 50lb. test. I have seen alot of fishing websites reccomend your drag be set at a third the breaking strength of your line lb. test rating, so if you are using 50lb. test 17lb. would be a good maximum setting. Another tip from the Abu Garcia website;
    "If a powerful fish starts ripping line off your reel, the decreasing diameter of the line left on the spool can actually increase drag tension. You may need to back off the drag."

Mudhole Kid, I will let you know if the 3x7x3 bearings fit but something tells me they are not going to workout in the levelwind. I looked at the schematics of the c4 and the levelwind setup looks alot different than the c3 series. I should have bought a used c4 reel to tear it apart and do some testing first. Abu

14. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I was wondering about that,didn't really know.I bought a Ningo reel off e-bay and got it back today.Looks just like a 6000,but it has axle bearings and no spool bearings,no anti reverse,but it has a crank bearing.I bought it thinking I could get a clutch bearing out of it.It's a so so reel for what I paid for it.Alot of the part may interchange.I also bought a shakespear Cateria 4100 to see if it compares in any way.I like buying reels and tear them apart to see what makes them tick.I can always re-sale them.Sorry to hear about the bearings.Let me know.Good post on the Penn.

15. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Joey.... All of my 6000 series Ambassadeur reels have instant anti reverse. I have an older 5000-c that has anti reverse but it is not instant. Any fixes you know to make it IAR? I see in the side plate it has notches cut and it does not go in to anti reverse until it catches on one of the ridged notches.
    Abu

16. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    :D The only way to make it IAR,is to install a clutch bearing in the side plate.I would have to see the bushing housing to see if the bearing would even fit.Some of the bushing housings are too small.Finding the clutch bearing without buying a junk reel or sideplate with the clutch is not easy.I found one dealer here that can get them at 10.00$ each.Depending on the age of the reel ,it may or may not work.You can't tweek the clutch dog(flipper) to make it IAR.Gotta have that one way clutch bearing.I'm sure you know were it's at ,but for the ones that don't understand the one-way clutch bearing is in the sideplate behind the star drag.It's pressed into the sideplate.This bearing only turns one way and if you try to back it up it locks down,therefore making it Instant Anti-Reverse.The older models have a little clutch dog that flips against the gear inside the reel and when you try to back the handles up it falls down on the gear and locks it,but there's a slight backward movement of the handles. :D It's not something everyone would want to try I'm sure ,but for the ones like me that love to toy with theit reels it's something to do :D

17. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I am still learning and having fun doing so. Had a rough time finding the correct schematic for my 5000-C. Foot number is 990504. I needed schematic 9905. Finally opened up schematic 9906 and there was a small box inside showing the very few different parts the 9905 uses. So if you can't find the right schematic for your reel, go up one number and they usually also show you the next number down with the parts it uses. Anyway, my 5500-C uses a plastic bushing and of course no roller bearing. The roller bearing in the 5500-C3 or 6500-C3 plate would punch out and fit right in the sideplate of the 5500-C but like you already said, Abu Garcia will only sell the whole sideplate. The roller bearing sure is alot smoother cranking than the plastic bushing. Abu Garcia needs to take a hint from Shimano and use Anti Rust Bearings, especially bearings in the exposed levelwinds for saltwater fishing. Reminds me, I better look into the Shimano ARB bearings and see if they have any 4x10x4mm. I have had all these Ambassadeurs apart so many times I think I could put them together blindfolded. I got the Carbontex drag washers in a few of the Ambassadeurs with a very light coating of Cal's drag grease and they are smooth and tough, you can get a couple extra pounds from your 6000 series reels and they take the heat of long runs. I will be looking for beatup, wornout Ambassadeurs reels with the roller bearing sideplate. Thanks again for your posts, I now understand how the anti reverse and instant anti reverse operate. Abu

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Fish I have a Ocean city 110 here in my collection. It does work but not sure how well. I will help as best I can I do knoe a little about Penn reels but not enough to start getting to hi-tec.

19. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    something screwed up here,can't read all the post,16 is as far as i can get.

20. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Make sure you put the bearing in the sideplate in the right rotation of it will lock and you won't be able to crank it.Theres an arrow on the bearing marking rotation.Also like I said earlier,you need to look at the bushing housing and make sure the clutch bearing will insert into it.Some of the housings are a little smaller,meaning smaller bushings.If it has the small bushing housing they want fit.I looked at the parts and I think you 5500-c has a bushing # of 22084 and if so that real will accept a bearing into the housing.That's the same bushing that 's in the 6000's too.,should work. :D