New Reel Purchase

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cats gone wild, Nov 18, 2006.

1. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I'm getting ready to buy a new reel for flathead fishing. I can't decide between the Shakespear Tidewater T30L or the more expensive Ambassadeur Big Game. I know the logical choice should be the Ambassadeur, but Catfish-Insider's Doug Stange and Steve Hoffman endorse and use the Tidewater. So with that said I'm leaning towards the cheaper of the two. Anybody have a Tidewater? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!!

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Buy the Abu. This is a case of You get what you pay for. The tidewater is cheaper for a reason. THe in-fishrman staff are sponsored By shakespeare, that is why they use and endorse them.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have both reels and have no complaints on either of them. However I can get more casting distance with the Abu 7000 Big Game. The Tidewater has a louder clicker. My suggestion would be to buy whatever fits your budget. Both will get the job done on flatheads. Good luck

4. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    go with abu or penn the tidal will strip for no reason have gone through 3 of them this season so i switched to penn

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    u can get a penn 209 for around 50 bucks and they have a good en loud clicker

6. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Dan, now that you have mentioned Penn, I forgot to include I was looking at those also. I was considering the 220 GTO, $52.95 at Catfish Connection. It's on the cheeper end of the Penn line. I don't need something that casts long distances because I fish from a boat and on the system I fish on I am sticking close to snags. I currently fish with a Quantum Big Iron 430 and 320. I would like to have another 430 but Quantum has discontinued that model.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    GP with the abu , I have three of them they cost more but you can't go wrong, I think your gonna get many more years outa them. I bought a tidewater about a month ago, isn't a bad reel but it isn't as smooth, drag and other adjustables aren't as nice either. It is either loose or tight no in between on mine at least. Abu's for you.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Id go with that. The GTO is a good looking reel and it has some good reviews from some members. Check the arcives.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would get the Abu, they are good reels.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I'd Get The Abu, I Don't Think You Will Be Disappointed.

11. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Phil, I have a Big Iron 430 and 320 also. I really love both of them. I'd like to have another one of each if I could find a good deal. I check ebay every day for them. Every now and then there will be one for auction either slightly used or new old stock. I'd like to have a couple of the new Quantum Cabo trolling reels, but they're outta my price range. I also have a Penn 320 GT2 that I like as well. If your price range is $50, I'd go with the Penn 220 GTO. If you got a $100 bill to spend, I'd grab up a Abu Garcia Big Game 9000 from Catfish Connection while they have them on sale.

12. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Thanks for all of the responses. I went to the archives, some like the Tidewater, some don't. I have two Abu's, 6500C3 and Trophy Catfish. The C3 is about eight years old and works like it's brand new so I know that Abu is high quality. But I really like my Big Iron 430, so before I make my decision, I'm going to go to the tackle shop to see if they still have any in stock. Since it's a discontinued model, maybe they will be discounted, that's if they have any.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Hey Phil I'm gonna send you a PM to the abu garcia discontinued/overstock site. Since its winter you can hold off on buying one right away. This is where I got 4 big game salt water reels that retail for 199.00 for 119 bucks each a couple years ago. I did have to wait more than 18 months for them to come up after I found that site. Since its overstocks you never know when something will be put up for sale. I just kept checking back whenever I thought about it then bam there they were.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I bought both a Tidewater T30LA and Abu-Garcia 7000C3 several months ago

The Tidewater is a $30 piece of junk and no longer graces any of my fishing rods.

Since that original purchase, I've bought 3 more of the 7000C3 reels and will probably 2 more before long.

The local store that I bought them at also sells them on eBay for the same price, $84.99 -- Brand new in the box, not second hand, not refurbished but brand new. Search eBay for "7000 C3" and you'll find them.

15. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Go with the Abu bro, no question.

Wheelmobile07

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    **DISCLAIMER: I have no connection, interests, or involment with Pro Angler Tackle ... Just a happy Customer***

I've been swapping out my ABU's for the PATCO 50's .. The guy that makes the Bee Ready Rod holders also makes these.. 0 plastic parts, nice loud clicker, has handled big fish with ease.. The last one I ordered, he mentioned he changed the designed on the anti-reverese (instant now), the clicker button, and the prawl. He offered to go through and clean/upgrade all my others for FREE!!!! (great service) .... They are also about 1/2 the money ($49) ... From what I understand, he got a bunch with Striper and Catfish guides together with all their broken reels. They went through and picked out what they liked and didnt like about em and then came up with this one. I find it smoother than my Abu's and the clicker is ALOT louder...

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would defanitly go with the abu. i have had 2 tidewater 30lb's and they are pure junk.

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I've had the tidewaters that cost $40 at Wal-Mart, and they were good for the money, didn't have problems for a very long time, caught a lot of nice fish on them, but at the same time, I still like my Abu's better. After about a year of good use the clicker switch wouldn't engage anymore, but I did catch a lot of fish on them, including 4 very large Stingrays. My Abu's are getting to be a few years old, and no problems out of them so far besides the clicker on the 6000.

19. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Not to beat a dead horse, but............. I too use Abu 6500 C3's, 6000's & Tidewater TL20's. Landed multiple fish on both makes without issue. The Abus are smoother, have a better drag and simply feel better yet I haven't had any problems with the Tidewaters either. You're comparing an Isuzu to a Silverado - the Silverado is nicer yet both will probably get the job done. As with boats and motors - buy the best you can afford.

20. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Well Abu seems to be the hands down favorite. My wife keeps asking me what I want for Christmas. I figured an Abu Big Game with a new Big Cat heavy action rod. That was until I fried my trolling motor. Now I'm stuck with a big decision. Last year though my motor did break down on me and I had to use the troller to get back to the ramp. So right now the motor is on the top of the list. But that could change.