New reel enough?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dcconrad, Jul 7, 2007.

1. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    i just got ahold of a abu garcia 6501 c3 for 40 bucks. is this reel capable aof handling cats? i am new to the baitcasters i have a shimano citica it works good for channles but for bugger cats?
    i have had plenty of bidsnests with them:angry:. but i am getting them down..... sorta...

2. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    yes that reel will handle big cats, i personly have recently quit using baitcasters i now use spinning but when i was a baitcaster i used the abu 6000, and i personly think it would have handled a cat up to about 40lbs no problem, but one thing i would recomend if it dosent all ready have it is go to catfish connection and order a power handle for it ( there $14.40 from there ), and in my opinion there well worth it

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That reel will handle really big cats. Just play it with the rod and have good line. The reel will hold up just fine. The only modification I would say is a big asset, is the smoothie drag washers. The power handle is ok of you're going to crank the fish in with the reel and not the rod. The reel would last longer if you let the rod do the work.

4. CatMaster23

CatMaster23 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    that reel is great and you got a good deal on it too. Do you know anywhere i could get one for that cheap?

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya it can handle cats.

6. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    These reels have handled the biggest cats in most bodies of water when used properly . No reel is intended to be used as a winch let all parts of your equipment do its intended purpose and youll ba amazed at what you can accomplish with the tackle at hand . Just an example here in the N.E. we use 10 1/2 ft. rods with 4-6 lb. test to land salmon on the great lakes and its tributaries , the rods have the backbone of a half cooked noodle to cushion the light line this is only made possible with the use of a quality drag system on the reel of choice .

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Only some of the "saltwater reels" have been designed and promoted to be used as "winches"."Power handles"are promoted and mostly sold to our young fishermen.They usually learn as most of us older folk have that a tight drag and a power handle helps to break rods and destroy gears.With the old drags,reels were protected and designed to slip to save your rod and reel.Aftermarket drags and power handles are the main reason a Aba Garcia rep.once gave me for no longer guaranteeing their reels for life.Unless you are handicapped weak and crippled like me,you should not need a power handle.It will just give you the leverage to put stresses on your reels gears and bearings that it was not designed to bear.The reels that are designed for power handles either come with them or the manufacture sells them as a accessory.This will keep you from "Over kill" with one.A power handle is used in place of a reel with a lower gear ratio.It will not replace it.Your 5000 may now reel like the 7000,but it Ain;t a 7000.You can put 5 tons of fertilizer on a 1/2 ton pickup,but you are making junk.I watched my oldest son make junk out of several good Aba Garcia reels with his power handles.The power handle let him "horse Hogs out of the snags".That boy would tear up a steel ball with a rubber bat.Just remember that with some power handles,you have the means to destroy your reel without even realizing it.Yep!That grating noise you will hear will be your gears.I know!I know!The blame reel was no good.I learned this from power handle users.If you like to use power handles and can afford the damage to your reels,they are great.Check to see if you void your warranty.Most put the old handle back on to send the reel back for warranty."This is not dishonest"."They only do this because the power handle won;t fit in the box" Sure!I believe this like I believe the 32 lb.Large Mouth Bass that you caught and released.I am not condemning the reel manufactures power handles.They brought them out to compete with and lesson the damage people were doing with the handles they were putting on their reels.The reels come with the handles that they were designed to be used with.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm with you Pee Wee. I like the smaller handles for the most part, but with less feeling and dexterity in the fingers, sometimes the large knobs that come on the power handles are alot easier to find and hold on too. I just don't change the style of fighting the fish with the power handle, just like being able to hold on better.