New reel and rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lj catman, Apr 16, 2007.

1. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    Hi guy's this is my first post on this site. I just got a okuma epixor ef 65a spinning reel and it came with three line adjustment washers for customize my line lay. what does line lay mean i'm new to this stuff . do i have to put these washers on. also have powerpro 50# line on it want to set my drag on it . when i put it on my scale what should it read at . is this a good reel for bluecat and is the okuma a good brand. all is new with a ugly stick tiger rod

thanks for help and great catfish site

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!! Don't know much about the reel but the rod is an excellent choice. I'm sure you'll get some input on it soon. Just wanted to extend a warm welcome.

Richard

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    About all I can do is Welcome you to the BOC... and I'm sure someone more knowledgable about your equipment has an answer for you... Enjoy your stay...

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet.

4. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    thanks ratkinson & ol man hope someone can let me know something about it

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a25: :0a25: :0a23: Alfred welcome to the BOC. I can't answer your spinning reel question. Hang on there is several BOC members that can help you. Glad to have you as a member.:lol:

6. Lenape4

Lenape4 New Member

State:
    OK
    I bought the Okuma Avenger ABF65 combo from catfishconnection.com today. I have seen alot of good post on the Okuma reels. Hoplefully get to use it later in the week, but the boss seems to want me to work all week.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I don't know about the Epixor reel, but I have an Avenger. Man, you're gonna love this outfit.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C.. All of the equipment you have will do the job. I have 4 OKUMA spinning reels the Avenger models and all spooled with 50lb power pro. I have had now problem with any of my equipment. Good luck.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

Your line lay is how the spindle puts line on your spool. What I mean is that your line on your spool is usually "fatter" at one end than the other and by removing/adding those rings it will cahnge which end gets the most line.
    For instance..If you want more distance from your cast than make it so it puts more line on the front end (twards the tip of your rod) then you'd add less washers under your spool. For jigging and rapala fishing you may wanna do just the opposite,then add more!
    I hope this helps a little. If not Private messege me and we'll gett'er all set up for you. ok?
    Your buddy Jay

P.S.
    do those little buggers look like this?

Add those washers right under the spool on the shaft. If you want more line in back then add more washers, but if you want more line in front then reduce the number of washers. Pretty easy huh?
    Like I said if you need any help just drop me a private message, k?

My Shimano Stradic and my Shimano Symetre both came with those too, so thats how I know.

10. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    thank's guy's and to buddah you were a great help and yes those washers look like that. let me catch a nice catfish first and if i need help with putting my picture i'll post you. I can't pm you's i need 10 post too do that i only have 3 now. and were can i find no roll sinkers in 2oz - 4oz - 6oz - 8oz for sale .I went to sportsman warehouse in colorado springs, colorado and the salesman didn't even know what they were . don't want to spend a lot of money but make me a good deal. you's are great bunch guy's that know about fishing

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Alfred! For the no roll sinkers give www.catfishconnection.com a try I have ordered a few things from them and they ship quick and seem like good people to deal with. Some prices are good some a little high, but they carry a lot of stuff for catt'n. Good luck!