New Record in Canada

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by Jacksmooth, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The story goes that this fellow was out fishing on Rainy Lake in Ontario bordering Minnesota. He was fishing for Pike and had caught a 36 incher, a good catch by any standards, and as he was reeling it in this mammoth Pike tried to eat his catch! The fisherman grabbed his net and pulled both of the fish in the boat. The mammoth Pike was measured at 56 inches long and weighed 55 pounds which is apparently a new Canadian record. I can’t verify the authenticity of the story but here are the pictures that came along with it. Pretty darn impressive if you ask me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    that 2nd picture has been floating around the internet for years.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    So....is it true or not?

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    It looks real to me. Just not caught this year

6. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

Live2Fish.Fish2Live New Member

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    I would like to know how the guy had his camera ready at just the right time to snap the picture of the two fish and then grab the net. The last thing I'm worried about when I have a big fish hooked is my camera.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    thats what i was wondering myself .

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Looks to me like there was likely a 2nd person in the boat or we would not see such a good pic of him holding the fish. Cameras are usually handy in the boat so this doesn't seem far-fetched to me at all. Plus some pretty good fakery with photoshop if it is fake. Looks real to me too.

9. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If he just scooped it up in the net I don't think it would count as a record cuz he had the little one hooked but I don't know about the big one

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    This has been around the net for a while. The fish is real, but was caught in Europe (somewhere around the Netherlands) in 2004. The fish actually weighed in at 19.5 kilo and was 127cm long. That is 50 inches and 42.9 pounds. The fish was caught while trolling a perch pattern super shad rap. This comes from an article by Ewout Blom, the guy in the picture that caught it. The story of it eating another fish he had caught was made up by someone else and spread around the net. While the picture of the fish eating the smaller fish may or may not be real, it is not part of this story.

11. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks for all the replies! After doing some research I found what grimpuppy said. Sorry for misleading you guys!

12. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Its still a hawg. I seen the pic and it said northwest territories.

13. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    yep. Grimpuppy, is right.http://www.pacgb.co.uk/articles/blomedit.htm

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yeah Ive seen the pics around for a while. It is a heck of a fish regardless!

15. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    That 55 pounder must have shore nuff been hungry to hold on to that 36incher till that ol'boy could net them both.

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Regardless of the story and the pics. That's one heck of a pike. What a fish!:crazy: Definently a fish worth bragging about.

17. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city