New Record Gar...

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by C_wernett, Feb 5, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dang!! I was wanting to beat the old record this spring!! We have some gar in Wylie that would have surpassed the old record, but the new record is big!!

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    That is one big gar. It would make a lot of cut bait:smile2:.

Tom

3. Catfishnz4me

Catfishnz4me New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thats a nice gar! they are that big here around home just dont know how to catch em

4. TrapperMike

TrapperMike New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice fish any time some one lands somthing like that and its a state record ,give you hope you might some day land one ,and have your name in the record books LOL one can dream cant they :cool2: thanks for sharring the link to the story

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Heck of a fish there! There's plenty of big gar out there but catching them is a completely different story. Those things are hard to get ahold of.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What gives me hope, but crushes it at the same time, is I lost one once that I know was even bigger than this one. We're talking a gar in the 6'+ range and big around as a football. Got him all the way up to the shoreline and we watched the hook slide straight down his bill and out of his mouth while my buddy was trying to get him with a gaff. But that one's a beast still and unless someone really buttons down and tries, I think it should stick for a while.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    they must not get that big up there, that is a great size fish dont get me wrong..Congrats to the guy who caught it!!!!!

He would really see what a big gar looks like if he came to Texas!!!! Those things are huge here, 6 & 7 ft'ers are common to bowfishermen & not too uncommon on rod & reel, esp in the trinity river system...those guys catch 100lbers up there all the time , I think the record is 113lbs & 80in long on rod & reel & 290lbs & 96in long bowfishing in the trinity!!!! but then again most people dont pay much attention to the gar records, as there have been bigger landed,.....those are alligator gar of course not long nose

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, alligator gar get MUCH bigger than longnose gar do. I'll have to do some research, but I think the world record longnose is in the 30-40lbs. range, so 25 in really an upper tier sized fish.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I stand corrected...world record longnose is 54lbs.

10. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
  11. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I haven't fished there in years but I remember seeing one in lake waccamaw one time that looked like it was 5-6 feet long. I know the water magnifies and you get excited about big fish and all but it was huge!

12. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm pretty sure the gar that I caught near the end of the summer was larger. It was probably 8 to 10 inches longer. I didn't know what the record was at the time. I just wanted to get the hook removed and get it out of the boat so it wouldn't tear up my rods/reels.

13. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    wow that is a really big Gar! thanks for the post and the link!