New ramps on the Kaw

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Jan 27, 2010.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    They are building two new ramps on the Kaw at Topeka.

They are going in one both side's of the weir at the water plant on the north side of the river.

They are going to be open to the public and are 30' X 70' with a parking lot.

They are being built by the city.

2. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    now thats good to hear!ive always wanted to fish the weir in a boat but never wanted to make the run from oakland.there will be some good fishing to be had!

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    When the river is up and rollin in May and June, every blue and channel from Bowersock on up to Topeka will be in that area. Definitely some prime fishing to be had. Time to spool up with the 40 lb. Big Game or the 100 lb. Power Pro fellas ;)

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats a good deal. I wish Wichita would do somethin like that. We get canoe launches.:laugh:

5. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    I hope the ramps are installed 'deep' enough in the river that you can launch a boat during low water.

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Don't think the water is going to be low this spring. We've had a good snow and the ground is pretty
    wet right now. If we catch a couple of rains through February it ought to keep the river up.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    My info is coming from my brother who is a retired city water worker.Now working for them again part time.He's the one building the parking lots and doing the dirt work.Each ramp I guess will have a jetty above them.
    Sounds like the ramps will be built then slid into the river..??

I ask him to make sure and make the parking areas to where we could turn boat trls around ....

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    How deep is the water during normal times around there? Do you have to be really careful about losing a lower unit in that area?

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jay, you might want to buy a mud motor..

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Average I would say 3 -4 ft there are some nice holes in that area if they have not washed in. We use to take the Pelican bass boat down there and fish some. At times the T. motor would do just fine others you had to zig and zag to get back but it worked.

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    They poured a slab and pushed it in with a dozer here in Wamego....

Buy a mud motor if you enjoy running a roto-tiller:tongue:

12. richard s

richard s New Member

State:
    kansas
    So dropping in my 20' glass bass boat probably isn't a good idea!