New ramp on the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by TONTO, Sep 18, 2008.

1. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Great news they are building a new ramp at Grand tower, IL. Construction has already started, but is now held up by high water level. I don't know how many have tried to launch at Grand tower, but it is/was all boulders. You had to be desperate to launch there. Now there is going to be a new concrete ramp from the parking lot down to low water level. Just in time for my retirement YEAH:smile2::smile2::smile2:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great news Tonto. Thanks for sharing. Is this ramp facing north?

3. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    That sounds good Kojak. Is it going to be near the campground on the north end of town? My wife and I are wanting to get down there for some camping this fall to watch the boat migration south for the winter, also hope to do some fishing.

4. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Mickey the ramp basicly faces west. Don I'm not Kojak but the ramp is right in the middle of town just a little south of the campground. When tkeyhunter and I put in at grandtower, she generally drives my truck and trailer to the campground. Then I will pick her up from shore.

5. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Sorry Tonto, don't know why I called you Kojak.

6. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    That is some great news. That ramp has been needed for many years. Now if we cn get them to rebuild/reopen a Hales restaurant, we will be in the Kats Meow.:smile2:

7. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Mickey, I heard on the news earlier this week that a fire bug has been setting fires in Grand Tower and the old Hales building was one of the victims. Hope they catch him and burn his butt. That was one of the best places to eat in S. Illinois. My wife and I will be going down there for a 4 day camping trip starting toworrow, intend to do some fishing and watch the river flow by.

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    wow. that'll be pretty sweet. easy location. right there off highway 3.

9. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Don that is sad news about Hales restaurant being burnt down. I to agree that it was a great place to eat. I have eaten there many times. Good luck on camping and fishing.

10. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Ma Hales was shut down years ago. I do wish it was still there one of the best places ever to eat at. Don I don't believe we have had any random fire calls down there lately. The Mississippi came up and shut down the ramp building. Went down there last week they had some sand pushed off the parking lot but the river was still to high to resume work.