New Prop - What kind or type do I need?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bmaultbay, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    just got my first boat about a month ago:D. not a big tournament boat, but it is mine. what i have is a basstracker 170tx with a 25hp efi 4 stroke. i have been on web sites for replacement props, but what i am looking for is something to help improve performance/speed. of course, short of buying a bigger motor at this time, the banker says i have to wait a couple of years, not going to argue, she, i mean the bank;) approved the boat loan. any ideas?:confused:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Brian what size prop are you running now. And also how many rpm's are you turning with it. If you want hole shot I can do that with out a new prop if you want speed then you need to lower your prop pitch but then you can turn to many r's with it. I know the motor manf. most time put one size under what you can run on them.
    I know a prop shop over in soddy daisy that sells good used repaired props.

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    i believe it is a 9.75 and the best i can get is around 5500 rpm. not really hole shot i am looking for, with two grown adults, full tank of gas, water in the live well, can be a little hard to get on plane at times. i have installed the hydrofoils, great improvement. according to my owners manual i am not to exceed 6000 rpm.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Did they when they mounted the motor on the boat leave an option by any chance a way to raise that motor up on the transom one hole did they.
    If there is any way to do that it will decrease the drag on the foot and put that prop up in the x zone a little futher.
    I'll send my buddie a e-mail and see what he has to say.

5. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Thanks Willard,

My motor is not sitting flush on the transom. There are no additional holes in the transom, there are holes in the mounting of the engine. Thanks for all your help.:)

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you can raise that motor up one notch then it might help it. All you would loose is the time raising it.