new prop question, motor is over-revving

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish Pursuit, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, finally got a tach on the new boat and trimmed out with all my stuff I was turning 6300rpm. Motor is a 2009 Mercury 90hp four stroke, owners manual said max rpm is 5000-6000. Current prop is an aluminum 3 blade, 13x19 that came on it. Dealer is going to sell me a new stainless Apollo 3 blade 13x21 for $200 which I think is a pretty good deal. How much can I expect to gain in mph with this new prop? Also, will the new prop have any effect on fuel mileage? It does incredible with the aluminum prop so was just wondering. Average speed by myself is 44.5, with another person I got 48.7, not sure why but it is faster with more weight. Speed was checked on GPS. Thanks! Chris

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is just a matter of opinion, but unless I was running in salt water, I would not put a SS prop on the motor. There are just too many rocks or hard underwater obstructions that tear up props every year. Used props can be picked up for about $50.00,,, it costs about $250.00 in labor to rebuild a lower unit, plus the cost of parts. Nope, I'd rather get another prop.

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Would totally have to agree with AwShucks, can see your talking a new boat maybe not had a chance to beat it yet but if ya ever had a boat before and ever hacked up prop before I would stay with a alum. . a SS prop will tear up a lower unit a lot faster then an alum. prop..

4. Bricky

Bricky New Member

State:
    Missouri

I Agree with You. 100%

5. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Appreciate the info from you guys. I picked up the stainless today since it was only $200 and new, I'm really careful about watching the bottom, especially with the new boat. If there's even a question of how deep the water is I wont be running much over idle and if the depth finder shows anything questionable I always trim the motor way up to avoid hitting stuff. Thanks! Chris