New prop or not....

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Stumpknocker2, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Hey guys, I have a 96' 40 Horse, Suzuki oil injected outboard. My prop has a few knicks in the edges of the blades, do I need to replace it or is it fine? Does it make the boat ride different? It is on a 14' Stumpknocker2, which is flat bottom. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    hey glen , thats up too you personaly id leave it alone . my prop has a few dents in it they dont seem to slow it down none infact i think it has sped up a little , if you had a problem im sur you would know it .

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Just take a file and clean up the nicks a little, and it will probably be alright.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you start feeling a vibration while the motor is running, you need to get the prop back into balance. You can take one that's been beat to death to a store and it can be refurbished. Little knick - no harm.... Vibrations...get it fixed or spend more later.

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    From what i've always been told, you need to dress the edge of the blades with a file. What i do is file each prop blade the same numbers of times until they are uniform. Bobpaul or bubbacat can sure give some good advice on it. You got a picture of the prop?

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's exactly right, if you feel any vibration don't run it anymore at ALL, and get a new prop or get yours fixed. Because ours had a vibration due to a damaged prop and we didn't know it was ruining the lower unit and spent over $700. I also think the previous owner of the boat ran it with the broken prop for a very long time.

7. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    every winter i have mine sharpened and reworked it is not that much i pay auround 80 bucks for a four blade stainless prop