New Project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Yakdawg, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Well, I have been fishing out of my kayak for almost a year now and loving it! Only problem is when you want to take a friend fishing with you....

I considered buying a second yak, but my dad got a project boat at an estate sale and gave it to me! I couldn't be more happy with the size, with gas like it is I was looking for a 14-16ft boat with a small outboard.

This boat is an older 14.5ft fiberglass Mitchell V-Hull. It is basically un-modified and was stored under a carport. It also came with a trolling motor(not pictured) and a very clean 70's model evinrude 9.5. Here are a few pics on my photobucket account:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the before Pics! I plan to have the boat ready for the lake in the next month or so. I am going to keep it simple for now. I will ad four four rod-holders to the sides of her for cat and striper fishing. A FF will be added. Two decent seats will also be added. Cosmetically I eventually plan to re-paint the boat white, but for now I will polish out the finish and touch up the trailer. The wheels and tires will also be replaced.

Any tips on starting the motor for the first time? I hasn't been run in about three years according to the seller...it is very clean under the cover and looks good.

YD

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I would start with the fuel lines(replace) from tank to the motor. If it has a metal tank, get rid of it and replace with plastic fuel cell. Drain the lower unit and inspect for water signs in the oil. make sure the rope is in good condition so you don't get stuck without a way get it started. you might even think about a carb. rebuild. It could be gummed up if it has had old fuel sitting in it. I'm sure there will be a few things that other people will think of that I am forgeting. Good luck with the new to you rig and may many memory's come from it.:wink:

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    After I got it running before first major usage I would put in a new water pump impeller. It should be easy on that motor.
    Send us some after pics.
    Good Luck

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    that looks like it will make a nice cat boat congrats

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That will be a nice boat when you finish out the way you want it.

Good luck

6. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I recently bought my first boat, and have been doing alot of work on it before I take it out. If you check out iboats.com, there is tons of info and helpful people. I use that site for any boating questions.

I agree with the impeller. This is one thing most people do not replace often enough and it leads to very expensive repairs. I would recomend rebuilding the whole water pump while you are in that area. The kits are usually less then 50 bucks for most model motors.

I would also go through a de-carb process with something such as seafoam or power tune. This will help remove carbon from the internals and free stuck rings, etc since the motor has been sitting for a while.

Lastly, a good carb cleaning or rebuild combined with cleaning the gas tank would be a good idea. My first purchase after I got the boat home was a manual for the motor, which I would highly recommend, perferably a service manual for that model, or a seloc manual (similar to chilton's for a car), that will cover a range of year models.

Good luck and congrats

7. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks for the info, I can't wait to start working on it, going to pick it up from my dads house next week!

How hard is it to prep and paint a fiberglass boat? I have painted several cars before, so I have some equipment, is it the same as painting a car but applying a marine type of paint/primer? I will probably polish the current paint if its not too thin, but will eventually repaint the boat....going to get it running/seats/FF first though!

8. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Well, the project has officially started! The boat is old, but is in great shape! I started the project by re-packing the wheel bearings and putting new tires and wheels on the trailer. I then towed her home, 65 miles, no problems.....the boat is now living in the yak cave where all modifications/restoration will be completed! A few pics of her cleaned and the little outboard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will probably start with the trailer, going to re-wire and paint it. Next step is going to be getting the motor started, then seats, FF etc....

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    great looking project, good luck with the fix up!

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    double post

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    great looking project

12. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Good looking boat.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    it looks like a diff boat all cleand up thats gona make a good cat boat just something about the old stile of boats like that that i like kepp the pics of the fix up coming thanks cant wait to finde me one to start on

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That's gonna be big fun!

In one of your first pics, it appears that the trailer might be a bit short for the boat. You'll want to either adjust the winch stand or lengthen the bunk boards, so that the transom is fully supported.

15. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks! Same thing I thought......
    The trailer is a bit short for the boat! I just took the boat off the trailer this afternoon, and am thinking about adding new longer bunk boards.

I also bought a wiring kit to re-wire the lights, and am going to sand the trailer down and blast it with some new paint! Will post pics of the trailer re-do, aiming to get the trailer done this week then start on the motor, then the boat...

16. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Well, the project is coming along!

Put a quick coat of paint on the trailer two days ago and re-wired it tonight!

[​IMG]

Only thing left on the trailer is to put new longer bunks on. will put the boat back on tom and start on the motor!