New Project - '76 Evinrude 25

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BKS72, Oct 19, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Been looking for something to do while the weather's cold (save the "wuss" comments, I freely admit I'm too much of a sissy to sit in subarctic temps to fish:wink:)

Went to a conservation department auction yesterday and apparently the people around me had more money than they knew what to do with 'cause there was no way I was paying what they were for project motors.

Got home last night and found a listing on Craigslist for the motor in the subject line. Called this morning and went down and picked it up. Looks good, turns free, and feels like it's got compression, but I'll rig it to a battery here before too long and get the compression and spark checked. Needs a tiller handle and a couple of lower unit parts, but that shouldn't be too hard to track down. Gave $50 for the motor and it should clean up nice. Ordered the OEM shop manual today, so hopefully by next weekend I can get it checked out and start cleaning it up and making it look and run like new. More pix to follow as I get to work on it!

Attached Files:

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    brandon i have that identical motor in my garage i bought for an old boat that i already sold... i wish you lived closer i would make a deal on it.... :wink:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck with the new project

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Are you gonna turn into a part-time outboard mechanic?:wink: Make some extra cash for fishin?:smile2: Sounds like you got a good deal and have something to look forward to this winter. The last one turned out great. I am sure this one will too. Good luck, keep us updated.

5. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    That's a pretty good price, unless those couple of lower unit parts are the the actual drive gears, they are pretty expensive.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So did that motor have a tiller on it?
    If it had been available to me 3 years ago I'd have bought it.
    I needed a electric start with steering.
    The only thing I could find was $200.00 and that was a non running engine.
    If anyone knows where I can buy a 76 Evinrude 25 horse with electric start and steering for around that money please let me know. I have a good running ( well it was last time it was in the water) motor.
    the best 2ya
    just

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    here is a pic of mine brandon.. i think mine is a 1977 model ..

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I see another road trip in the future there Branden...:wink: You still coming to yer pops later on?

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, just haven't decided when yet. May have to go to IN and see about that motor BigA has while I'm over that way:smile2:

Trevor, it's just the cover - gears, shift fork, all that good stuff was still there and shifts well. Gears look good as well - that's the only good part about that piece missing, I could see what kind of shape the gears were in:big_smile:

Kyle, I'm just looking for something to do while it's cold out and I kind of got the bug after working on mine. The older ones are fun to work on and parts are relatively easy to find. I'm one of those guys who has to have something to tinker with. One of these days I'll find a V4 or V6 that's blown but fixable - THAT will keep me busy for awhile:big_smile:

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    were does your dad live brandon?

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Why he lives just east of me.... j/k, about 80 miles or so east of St. Louis, in that area, not real close to ya, but ya know couple hour road trip.........:wink:

12. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Good luck to ya Branden, I hope it turns out as good as the last rebuild.

13. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    btw Branden, what are ya gonna do with it after ya get it running. 25's are pretty popular. Shouldn't be a problem selling something like that. short shaft or long shaft, just curious, in case your intentions are to sell it I wanna get my ducks (or bucks) in a row:smile2:

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't really have a use for it when it's done- I'm needing a decent mig welder, so I'll probably try to trade it for a welder or sell it for what I have in it plus a buck or two so I can buy the welder or another project motor. Not looking to make a killing, just trying to find a self-financing hobby:wink: It's a long shaft, by the way.