The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the process of buying a new Seaark Procat 200. I'm trying to decide between the 150-200 Suzuki. Can anyone w/this setup tell me what your top speed is? My dealer said the 150 was rated for 48mph & the 200 at 52mph. Does that sound right to yall? I would've thought 50hp would gain you alot more than 4mph. Also I'll be putting an I-pilot Minn-Kota on her. What yall think 24v or 36v? I know I know, bigger is better but if a 24v is plenty i don't want the weight and a 3rd battery. Any input is greatly appreciated. This will be my 1st high end boat & I want to make sure its set up right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you know the $$ difference is between the 150 and 200? That would probably influence my decision. My boat (not a Seark) tops out at 48 MPH, but most of the time I probably run 25-35 depending upon conditions. That gets me there plenty fast enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O yeah, It's bout $3500 more for the 200. That's the main reason I'm posting. If the 4mph difference is realistic I'm definitely going w/the 150. It just seems to me that 50hp would make alot more difference than that. Hell the boat i got now has a 40hp on it & it runs low 30s if I'm by myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
O yeah, It's bout $3500 more for the 200. That's the main reason I'm posting. If the 4mph difference is realistic I'm definitely going w/the 150. It just seems to me that 50hp would make alot more difference than that. Hell the boat i got now has a 40hp on it & it runs low 30s if I'm by myself.
Yeah. I would have a hard time spending that much more for the difference. Only difference may be that there may be more difference in speed when fully loaded? Any difference in fuel usage? Just wondering if the 200 would burn less. Seems that most people always recommend getting the biggest motor possible. Not sure if that is always warranted though.

Make sure to post up some pics when you get it. They are nice boats for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel usage issue is definitely on my mind. I'm not a speed demon. I'll leave that to the bass guys. My thinking was that the bigger motor could run the same speed at less rpm therefore using less gas & less wear & tear. If I'm totally off base or the difference wouldn't be enough to matter someone please chime in.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I couldn't swing a Pro Cat so I settled on a Sportsman 200, it came equipped with a Yamaha 175. With a full tank of gas, no water in the live well and in the boat alone I can get 51 MPH on calm water. I would guess your boat would be a little heaver due to better construction and more standard features. I know there are several things that make this kind of like comparing apples and oranges but maybe it will give you some sort of an idea.

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
622 Posts
When I ran my 40 out of oil I replaced it with a 50 top speed didn't change but 50 would get on plane a little faster 4 mph probably about right but when loaded down you will probably wish you had the 200 or if you ever sell it

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
As far as the TM, I run a MK Terrova 80# on my SeaArk. I have a 2072V-Pro Center Console which is the same hull as the procat. I have never had an issue with my TM pulling my boat when dragging baits. I have been in some big winds down here on Wilson/Wheeler and it runs fine. Never seemed to run my batteries down either, so I'd say I am happy with 2 batteries and the 24V set up on my boat.........just my .2 cents for you.
Good luck in your boat search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as the TM, I run a MK Terrova 80# on my SeaArk. I have a 2072V-Pro Center Console which is the same hull as the procat. I have never had an issue with my TM pulling my boat when dragging baits. I have been in some big winds down here on Wilson/Wheeler and it runs fine. Never seemed to run my batteries down either, so I'd say I am happy with 2 batteries and the 24V set up on my boat.........just my .2 cents for you.
Good luck in your boat search.
Thanks for the input. That's what I had hoped to hear. I figured the 24v would be enough just didn't want to end up under powered if I got in some wind/current.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
My only comment would be to make sure you get the right length shaft on the TM. If in really choppy water it is irritating to hear the prop cavitation with each wave.

tight lines

Reactions: ccat

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,993 Posts
If I was going to finance the boat I would get the bigger motor.... More horsepower for that big bad baby... You never know you might need it someday ...

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
813 Posts
I agree,
The top speed dosent sound right. I wouldnt spend that on 4mph. You might do some looking around on some bass or saltwater forums for more info.

I dont worry about top speed in a boat. I fiqure out where the motor sounds / feels good at. Normally about 3/4 throttle. I call it the cruising speed. This is where i run the boat at when going from point to point. I let the speed fall where it may.

The only way i would consider the 36 volt. If i was going to drift all day you might need it. Other than that id think a 24v will do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I dont worry about top speed in a boat. I fiqure out where the motor sounds / feels good at. Normally about 3/4 throttle. I call it the cruising speed. This is where i run the boat at when going from point to point. I let the speed fall where it may.
I agree with this. I occasionally crank my boat out, but that is more when the water is like glass, no debris in the water, and I want to have some fun LOL. Most of the time the 3/4 throttle or so is where I like to run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to the Marina today to look at 2 procats. One is silver w/the grey interior & one is black w/grey interior. Im wondering how much hotter the black hull will be. Im in SC & it's pretty warm down here in the summer.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,171 Posts
The minimal gain is about right from the 150 to 200. It has long been known that after sufficient power to run a boat is achieved the general rule is "it takes 10 horse power to gain 1 mph". Now that is taking into account all things equal. You can improve on that by changing props to increase speed, hole shot, mid range or whatever. The larger motor will handle a bigger array of props easier. At the end of the day you will gain a little speed with the 200 but it will work a lot less to achieve the same results as the 150 and you will notice the difference with a fully loaded boat at the hole shot and mid range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I took some sound advice today. When in doubt go bigger. I went to look at the boat I started this post over & ended up starting the paperwork on a different better optioned Procat w/200 Suzuki. Between paperwork & rigging I should have it in a couple weeks. Thanks to all that gave advice.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,171 Posts
Cant wait to see pics when you get it. I believe you will be happy with the 200. I have been around boats and boaters all my life and have never heard any say that they wished they had gotten the smaller engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, I took some sound advice today. When in doubt go bigger. I went to look at the boat I started this post over & ended up starting the paperwork on a different better optioned Procat w/200 Suzuki. Between paperwork & rigging I should have it in a couple weeks. Thanks to all that gave advice.
A couple of weeks is pretty quick. I have heard some manufacturers have a lengthy wait time. Congrats on the new boat. Post up some pics when you get it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts