New Powerplant At Calaveras

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by LittelAl, Aug 27, 2007.

1. LittelAl

LittelAl New Member

State:
    Texas
    Saw the new smoke stake going up at cally. Any idea what this will do to the water temp and fishing. The water is already bathwater warm.

2. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got a friend whos in the upper management there at the plant and he said that it should not change the temp of the water at all.

3. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I've heard the same. If anything it would hurt the redifshing if the temp went up I believe.
    Hope it doesn't and logic says it won't hurt our great little lake.

4. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    now I got a little more time I can repsond better.
    I had the same concerns a couple months ago and was doing a seminar at a sporting goods retailer in the SA area. One of the attendees worked at the plant and had so for a long time. He assured me that it shouldn't truly effect the fishing and the temp should remain in balance.
    I truly hope that is the case, it's a great lake with alot of good fishing and scenery, not to mention the proximity to San Antonio and it's residents.
    I had some rough trips out there 2 weeks ago, which can be expected during the dog days. But the temp was around 98.
    Won't be long and the fall will be here with the cooler temps.
    Can't wait!
    Good Post BTW!

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i dont know much about the lake, btu shouldnt the fishing be better by the powerplant discgarge?

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I headed out Friday night and did some fishing out at Calaveras, fishing from the bank we pulled 12 keeper cats, 1 decent Red. and a handfull of misc fish, Telapai, bluegill, Carp, and one sucker.

Does anyone have an ETA on when the back will reopen again at the lake? I am strictly a shorefisherman for now and my best holes are all located back there.

-Brian

7. TBill

TBill New Member

State:
    Texas
    I remember when Alcoa Lake was closed by IGC when they built the second power plant on the lake. Their excuse was they were afraid what would happen if someone fell in during the summer. They expected to raise the water temp about 20 degrees. I guess it is still closed. It was owned by Alcoa so I guess they can do what they want. It sure was a fine fishing lake for cats, bass and bluegill.