New pond, Can you help with my questions?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishfearme, Oct 5, 2009.

1. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    First off let me tell you what i know about the pond, It's about 12 to14 feet deep from what i can tell, It's about 2 and 1/2 acres,With no pumps,air raters,or fountains,It don't have any in coming or run off creeks,But it dose have two big pipes (side by side)for flood control b/c it's by a few warehouses ,It's a man made pond for water control, It is full of good size shad,And vegetation, not fished hard ( till me and Chris (hawgseker) get there),Well that's about all i know,Time for the questions. Oh one last thing about it,We have reeled in two channels 5 or 6 lbs,And two flats one was 14lbs and the other was 25lbs (Chris not mine :angry::cool2::wink:)

1.Can they reproduce ?In a pond like this
    2.I was told by a guy that was cat fishing,That he had been stoking it for 5

years,So, If they are the fish he put in,Could they have made it in this pond
    3.Could the size of this pond stunt there growth ? thanks to all,just wanting to know what you think:cool2:

2. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    thats hawgmaster to you bud!! lmao!!!! but ya it def wasnt fished hard till we got there!! but ya we have pulled out some decent flats out of there.

3. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    also there are some small mouth, crappie, and gills in there also. and yes plenty of vegetation`

4. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    yeah it sounds like to me anyway .everything should grow and produce just fine with that depth.as long as it dont get over stalked.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Fish could grow enormous in a body of water that size and depth. I have a small pond of about 5' deep and have grown small 2 lb channelcats up to 10 lbs.....and it is only about 50 yards around. However last year the pond dried up and now all the fish are gone. It needs to be dredged out to around 15' or so. And I would stock it once again, using bluegills and channels, blues, and flatheads. Only a few of each though....lol.:wink:

6. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    :eek:oooh:Oh, You seen that hu? hawgmaster ?:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2::wink::cool2:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    1. I would think if there is some structure,( rock piles or timber) they could reproduce.
    2. Yep I would say they could make it fairly well if there is (blue gills,crappie or even bass) for them to feed on.
    3. As long as they have good habitat, structure and plenty to eat I would think note to much if at all.

8. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    I was told one time that cat's wont spawn, If there is'nt a creek channel in there with the water flowing, That's one reason why i started this thread, There is cover ( i found it the hard way!!:embarassed:) Thanks to all that have posted, and the one's that will

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    go get everybodys christmas trees after "tha season" and dump em on a corner of it..or where ever..they will be spawnin like "migrants" for years lol..then you will jsut have to come in and cull the herd...or jsut cull it anyways..send me a few bags of fillets thar buddaaaaaay:wink:

10. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    im not sure about this but when catfish spawn will they come into shallower water to do so or will the go to deeper water?

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rich, I have read in the past that if there is suitable spawning habitat and forage base, that channels will reproduce in landlocked ponds.( Didn't mention flatheads.) The article also mentioned that it was rare for channels to reproduce in ponds, if those two conditions were not met, but not unheared of. I know this info doesn't help much, but its all I've gathered on the subject.

Just from your description that pond should be able to reproduce. Have you caught any squealers? Catfish fry go from one inch to 5 or 6 or 8 inches the first year.

12. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    No,I haven't reeled in any squealers,And a buddy of mine use's a cast net there, im just hopeing this place can keep, and have cat's reproduce, as of now it's not fish all the time:big_smile::wink:,last week i got that 14lbs and it was around2 or 3, car's were coming by and i hated to land it then but as you know, i didn't have much say in it , i didn't want to lose him:eek:oooh::smile2::cool2:

13. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    well if ya count you squealing when you hooked that 14pounder then id say yep:p

14. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Rich, the best info you can get on fish & ponds will come from your County Extention Agent. A few years back we had a couple ponds built and the Extention Agent was very very helpful. Ask them a question and if they don't know the answer they will find it.

15. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    thank 's for that info,I'll give that a try.

16. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Me, Squealing while i was reeling it in:eek:oooh: ? No it was you, i herd you as clear as day:smile2:, But i wouldn't call it a squeal you were making that Saturday night:big_smile: ,To me it sounded like you were saying, SKUNKING:confused2::smile2::wink:. That's ok we both walked away shuffling our feet smelling of a skunking last night:angry::cool2:

17. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i know 2 weekends in a row now that i have walked away skunked:angry:
    oh well chit happens. but hey at least i got a bite though. just too bad for that darn snag!

18. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Well bud,At lest you didn't lose you're set up:cool2:, But it still hurt's. Hey at lest u lost yours to a snag:angry:, i lost mine to a.... ammmmm.....:confused2: I think you can say.... I pulled out to soon:eek:oooh::crazy::sad2::roll_eyes::smile2::cool2:

19. jugn19

jugn19 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    those fish will produce well in that size pond they shouldnt have any reason not 2

20. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i lost mine to a.... ammmmm.....:confused2: I think you can say.... I pulled out to soon:eek:oooh::crazy::sad2::roll_eyes::smile2::cool2:[/QUOTE]
    you could say that....next time dont get so excited lmao:eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::smile2::cool2::wink: