New pole and reel setup

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tncatfishing, Jan 17, 2006.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well I finaly went and bought a good size baitcaster for catfishing. A tidewater shakespeare model and a ugly stick catfishing 7 foot medium heavy action pole with glow in the dark eyelets.Spooled with berkley 20lb big game. I have to admit I like the feel and look of this setup, although I have not officialy used it yet I like it more than my other poles. Going to get another one befor too long and maybe replace most of the open face setups I have if the pole and reel work as good as I think it will.

2. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    You have made a good choice. I have a setup just like that and I love it. Have caught several sturgeon on it, but no big cats to date. But most importantly it held up well. I really like it.:)

Frank

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have another baitcaster setup but it is much smaller for like bass fishing I am pretty use to it now and see this bigger setup being my best pole. I mean over three hundred yards of line, as long as nothing gets snagged up to bad the fish is not going to take all that line. The setup just looks good. And the best thing it did not break me in order to buy it the reel was 35 and the 28 not to bad in my book.

4. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Good deal! These Shakespear Tidewater casting reels are tough. Since you already have a casting reel it will not be to hard to get used to it! Have fun!:)

Frank

5. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Hey, man I know a little about the tidewater. I was using one when I first started at the river down here. Watch the cent. brake on those if you are not careful they will go out. Other than that, I was able to muscle a few over 20#'s with the tidewater/uglystick combo with relative ease so you should be in good shape.