New piece of flathead catfish gear

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Jan 13, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I used some Xmas money and just ordered myself a new Quantum ultralight spinning reel. "How is an ultralight spinning reel a piece of flathead gear?" you ask. Well, for me, every flathead trip starts with catching sunfish, and this sweet little reel is going to make sunfishing more fun and effective.

For anyone else that's interested, Quantum redesigned their whole line of spinning reels for 2009, and "some major tackle outlets" have put the 2008 reels on sale for a very good discount. I used to use Shimano spinning reels, and now I'm completely sold on the Quantums.

2. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i have a quantum unltra light and it is a great real i also use shimanos alot but i agree with using the ultra ligt gear i use ultra light rods to makes it more fun to catch my bait

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I also have a quantum ultra light reel on a eagle claw feather lite rod with cork handles. It is great fun for catching Bluegills and such. This past season while catching baits for Flatheads I hooked into a great big ole drum...I thought I would never get it in on such a small wire hook. But eventually I did and it was a blast.:wink:

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good deal, John! Now to get out there and use that outfit so you can feed us the reports and pics. :smile2:

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It's supposed to arrive today. I'll get it loaded up with 4 pound mono so I'm all ready for the shad to show up in a few weeks!

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hell, that's half the fun of flathead fishing is catching the bait! It's always nice to hook into one of those big ole 2lb bluegills or shellcrackers. Occasionally we get a nice bass too.

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Can't beat the ultralights for catching bait!! I have a pflueger outfit i use and just love it!

8. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    I use a very old Mitchell 309 with a 4' Ugly Stick UL rod. That baby is suh~weeeet!:smile2:

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I've said it many times...the catching of just the right size of black perch at times must be done by rod and reel...especially so if there was no time to set the traps...or if they didn't happen to get enough for a days use of bait.

This activity has really grown on me as well.

Catching bait can be a blast!

So much that I made what I consider to be a major investment last year.

I bought a pair of St. Croix Premier ultralite graphite rods...one is a 5'3"...the other a 6'.

Both were mounted with a Shimano Solstice UL spinning reel...the short rod with 2 lb flourocarbon...the longer one with 4 lb flouro.

These two combos are BY FAR the BEST ultralite rigs I've ever owned.

I also plan on using them for catching crappies and whitebass during this springs upcoming spawning runs...as well as for catching trout for bait for the jumbo channel cats found in nearby "trout pit".

One morning last spring found me sitting on the side of a culvert out in the country.

Through this culvert flows a connector neck between two large creek fed strip pits. (Thus there is a constant current flow)

Multitudes of black perch, punkinseed, redear, bluegill, and creek chubs can be found in this dingy current underneath this culvert.

I already had about 3 dozen nice fat little black perch in my insulated aereated 6 gallon bucket...enough for the next three days of vacation I had coming...I also had a soft cooler with me stocked with an ice cold six pack of Busch beer...as well as a pack of grape flavored mini cigarillos.

I was having a good ol' time catching the perch on the 5'3" rig with 2 lb line...when all of a sudden I latched onto something that took me 15 minutes to land.

A nice fat 4 lb channel cat...which I released. (Figuring it was a fluke and wouldnt happen again)

Don't know why...but all of a sudden I found myself catching 1 lb to 3 lb channel on the next dozen or more consecutive casts.

I ended up keeping a half dozen of those...cleaned them...and had a nice shore lunch of fried channel cats back at river camp...with morel mushrooms on the side that I stopped and gathered by this one spot I know of right beside the road. :cool2:

Sure did beat the hamburger and fries from the local choke and puke that I had previously planned on having.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I carry my ultra light everytime I leave the house to fish and thats what I do .I catch about 25-50 3-5" bluegills before we even start fishing and its all the bait we need,unless we run out:eek:oooh: Then we get the wax-worms back out and catch some more.:wink:

I know of one place that sells 3-5"gills for .50 each ,but its way out of my way on some trips..and comes into play only when we are late to the fishing hole:smile2:

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, flyrod"s a blast too to use for those itty bitty gills; I'd never dreamed the wife and I would evolve/degress to competing on who catches the smallest fish.......... but we do, and enjoy the heck out of it.

And we catch a bunch of eaters in the meantime. It's not unusual for us to get a mess of spotted bass, or stumble accross a school of crappie, pus the eater gills when bait fishing. i luv it

12. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    To me catching the bait is half the fun. Especially since I get to catch them with rods I built myself.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The bait shop vendors around here sell their black perch for $5 - $8 a dozen.

Same for goldfish.

Most buy their perch from reputable fish farms...but others buy here and there from locals.

This doesn't bother me if they raise them...but most are catching them from the same creeks, ponds, and strip pits that I catch mine...and are then illegally selling them.

That really burns my a$$...and a few times I have voiced my displeasure about it to the local DNR officer when I have gotten the opportunity to speak to him. (He's hard to track down since he's now covering both our county, and the one next door that lost it's one officer)

I have also been known to hang signs that said "No Commercial Fishing Allowed Here...We're Watching You!" at a few of the places I have seen the activity occur.

They usually get torn down and/or shot...but at least they know that they had better be looking over their shoulders.

I've had a least a half dozen of my old favorite haunts to catch bait run out of black perch as a result of overfishing.

The really good ones are getting harder to find as they become more and more remote...requiring a canoe and/or a portage to get to them....or a long hike through forbidding terrain.

Very few are roadside any more...and I suspect that they too will suffer the same fate from unscrupolus anglers who take no consideration as to how much bait they harvest day after day, and week after week from a small area.

I've also lost 3 perch traps to thieves during 2008 as well.

One even required a 200 yard plus hike right up against the narrow edge of the water and the ultra thick scrub brush and briars that the strip pits in Se Kansas are famous for.

Guess if they are persistent enough and want it bad enough...nothing is safe anymore from thieves...much less sacred.

14. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I usually always have an ultra-light in my truck at all times with a few airators and buckets handy. Since I have 3 children I have to get bait when I can. I have to start picking my kids up around 3:30, so if I get off work eairly, I can go and get some gills. I just use 1 1/2'' tubejigs for bait.

15. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I always have my ultra light with me. We catch all our own bait. Usually in the canal as well as some from the lakes. Sometimes you just never know what you'll catch on an ultra light, but it's always fun.