New pictures!!! back from the colorado river!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by curtis, May 7, 2006.

1. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    hey all i dont know if any of you remember me asking questions about the colorado river earlier this week but here it goes. i headed out to the river late on thursday when i got there i set the poles up right away. nothing at all the first night with an all nighter. i was using chicken liver on one pole and a cut up blue gill on the other. then on the second night my buddie an i were sitting near the bank with his pole in the water and BENDO!!!!! he got a nine pound channel cat off of cut dead blue gill. so i was happy for him but really mad because all i wanted was to catch a big cat this weekend. so i went and set my pole up with the same rig ( which i told him to use) and about three minutes later BENDO BENDO!!!!! i have never in my life felt a fish that heavy on my pole. i thought for sure my line was going to snap. then i remembered i switched to 25 pound line and it still felt iffy. well i got it to shore and couldnt believe my eyes. if you look at my avator that is the cat!!!!!!!!! it is a 23 pound ( wieghed on a digital scale) 44" flat head!!!!! can you believe it, this is only my second cat i have ever caught!!! well i would like to thank everyone for thier info on how to catch one of these great fish. in the end i used my own tecnique but the information was still great. thanks all and hope you like the story and the cat.

2. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    congratulations on the catch stay away from the livers and you will catch big fish.

3. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congradulation Curtis, thats some good fishing and a great fish.

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Congratulations on a nice fish! That one will be a lifetime memory for you as that type thing is what memories are made of.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Great fish, congrats. Your making me feel like a chump, I've probably caught over a thousand cats in my life and only a handful of them in the class of your second one ever. Way to go though, you gotta be hooked on catfish now.

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, Curtis :eek:oooh:

7. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    way to go I wish I could catch something that big

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You are off to a great start. Don't expect every trip to turn out like that, and if it does, you may want to start a guide business!!

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Congratulations, Curtis! Way to go. :still_dreaming:

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh:
    "Way To Go Curtis" "That's a Nice One":0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2:
    (Shaina)

11. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    yeah i dont ever expect to have a night like that one again but i am going to try. i at least know what to use and when to use them. the bite for blue gill and carp was poppen off at around one to three o'clock in the afternoon. and the cats were right around eight and nine o'clock. anyother time of day there were no bites. so if anyone is going to the colorado river system i would say to go out around that time. thats what worked for me. its heating up a lot so the bite is on.

12. JamesRiverFlats

JamesRiverFlats New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great catch man! I can't wait to get one on the line this year. Hopefully I won't have to wait to long.

13. the hook

the hook New Member

This is Monica's dad.

I would appreciate being invited over to help eat that flathead.

Would have been happy to help fillet it. When is the fish fry? Nolan said you are as crazy for fishing as I am. I have a boat, if you want to go sometime. Nice fish, son.

hj

14. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Congrats Curtis,
    And you're right about the chicken livers. For small cats they're fine but for larger ones stay away from them!!

15. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    nice to see you are on the boc as well. i am giving the flat head to my mother. she loves cat fish, so thier will be no fish fry at my house. i injoy catching cats but not eating them. oh and yes i am a freak about fishing no matter what i am going after.we should go out fishing sometime!!!!! i dont know to many people with boats and that would be a good opportunity for fun in the sun with you and nolen. thanks for the comments and i will hear from you soon.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congratulations!!!

If you want to score consistently with those flatheads, try the bleugills live!

BTW - your fish must run kind of skinny, I'd expect a 44" flathead around here to weigh in the 40+ pound neighborhood.

Anyway, keep it up and you can look forward to many more nights like that one.

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    nice fish man!!! hope u have a buntch more nights like that.

18. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    yeah i measured it and it was a 44 incher. and we wieghed it and it was tweenty three pounds on the nose. i wish it was a 40 pounder but i will take this one still!

19. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Congrads on your catch. Looked like it was an awesome weekend to be on the Colorado this past weekend. I got my first as well. Good going!