New Personal Best

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tomahawk, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Man, what a morning on the water. Went down to Tillery again looking for flats. I caught 4 flats this morning, 2-25lbers, a 27lber and a hoss. He weighted out at 62lbs. When I set the hook on that fish he swam right back to the boat. So I didn't relise how big he was until he got to the boat. Then he went straight to the bottom. Thats when I relised I was in trouble. I fought him for about 40min. He wouldn't come up for anything. The power of those big flats like that is incredable. I hook him on the biggest outfit I had in the boat. A heavy duty 8' surf rod with 40lb main line. That fish really wore me out. I knew for how many 30-40's I was catching it was just a matter of time before a real big one showed up. Caught him on whiteperch. Water temp is at 73*. See-ya.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Congrats, Robert - that is a monster!!! Did you get a photo?

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice one Bob, I cant waite till my first Blue. Hope it's as nice as that one:big_smile::cool2:

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Congratz... thats a heck of a fish

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice fish man! Those fish coming on live perch or cut? I've been noticing that since the colder weather has hit they've been prefering cut bait over live at about 10 to 1. Keep rippin' those lips Tomahawk!

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Wow a 40 minute fight! That is one incredibly strong fish. Way to go Robert. Congrats on a new personal best.

7. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Now thats a fish!Congrates:big_smile:

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Man, I hope you can post a picture of that bad boy. Nice catch!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Robert thanks for sharing your fishing trip. Congrats on a great night and the PB.:big_smile:

10. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Congrats on the new PB.sounds like a good trip.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fantastic fish! Congrats.
    Hoping someday I'll get one of those, too...

Is here a photo on it's way?

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Robert, congrats on the monster flathead, definately a fish of a lifetime. Well done brother

13. onemorecast

onemorecast New Member

State:
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Id be happy to catch that many big fish over the wnter. I wouldnt believe it if i did it all in one morning.!!! Congrats on that big ol hawg!!

14. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    See attachment. Mac

15. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Sorry about that folks, but that's show business. Mac

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Congrats on the great catch, and new PB

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I woke my wife out of bed at 1:00am to get a picture of a 39 pounder, so you really don't have any excuse for not getting a pic of a 60+ pounder!! :wink:

Great job and a great catch! Congrats on that new personal best!! :big_smile:

18. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrats on the big fish.

19. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well Wyilecatter, with the water temp at 74*, I wasn't going to take a chance and put this fish on a stringer and have it die. In my book a 62lb flat is pretty nice but I know theres alot bigger ones to be caught. I think that fish was a female, it didn't have to huge head like the others. She did have huge belly though. I bet with flats the males are the ones with big heads. It's just a matter of time before a new NC record is caught. I just hope Iam the one to do it. I never fully relised how big that fish was until I grabbed her. It was pretty dark out there.

20. j simpson

j simpson New Member

State:
    nc
    Can someone please give me some pointers on how to fish for flat heads and blues, how deep in the day and how deep at night.I normally striper fish on smith mt lake. I ewanted to try and catch some big cats, thanks. Jeff Simpson