New Personal Best

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Dave53, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Went out last Saturday on the Missouri River about a mile down from Boeuf Creek and caught a 5.7 pound channel cat. Sat for couple hours and caught another couple small channel cats after missing a pole binding bite. About noon all the knuckleheads started coming out on the river. After watching two young girls in their mid-twenties fly up and down the river on jet skies jumping each other wakes while waiving to me, while I'm trying to keep 7 poles from tangling with each other. Although I did enjoy watching these young ladies jumping those wakes, I decided to move to another spot. I had prevously scoped out another mud flat up about 1/4 mile from Boeuf creek and for some reason that area does not get a lot of the knuckleheads on those jet skies. I got all set up and was putting a new hook on one of my poles when the top of one of my poles struck the front of the boat. I was hoping it was a good fish as I had on a 8" piece of cut shad. It went up stream screaming line out of my reel. I tried to slow his run down by pushing down on the open face reel with my thumb..not a smart move, but I'm sure I will grow a new finger print back. After 10 minutes I got the fish near the boat and he kept swirling the water then run to the bottom of the river. After doing this 4 times when I got to see the slim on the line I scooped up under the fish in my over size dip net. When I got him in the boat I think I sat on him for 2 or 3 minutes while I shook like a little school girl. After 5 minutes I was able to weigh him. He weighed 24.5 pounds. I know this is not one of the bruts that most of the brothers and sisters on this board brag about but it was the biggest I have ever caught on rod and reel. I know some of my BOC brothers will be upset but he went home with me. Just wanted to say thanks to all the help I've received from the brothers of the BOC to finally land a great fish.

2. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Wow Dave sounds like a nice fish Did you get any pictures of it while you were out?

3. hovis223

hovis223 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats brother. That is what it is all about out there in the river.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is a pig in anyones book:big_smile:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Congrats Dave, it's sure cool getting a good one to the boat.

6. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    congrats Dave ,thats a great fish in my book:wink:

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    When I called my wife she ran out and got one of those throw a way camera's so as soon as I can get them developed I'll get someone to post them for me. I think I will remember that day for a long time..and I'll keep the net in the middle of the boat..took about 2 minutes to get to the net at the other end of the boat without tangling the other 5 poles I had out.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Nice fish Dave. Way to go on a new PB!
    Looking forward to seeing the pics. Give me a holler and come back over here some time if you can and we can try to catch a few.

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Sounds great spoon..sure missed seeing you guys this year up at the lake. Miss those raccoon's too. My son still swears he saw a bear up there..I keep telling him it was a bear brought on by busch beer!

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Very nice fish buddy, congrats on the catch.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Missed having you there this year too Dave. I know the racoons and bush bear did.

Course.
    That trail of potato chips leading into your boys tent and all the turkey bones and watermellon rinds we placed around it while you were fishing probably didnt help Dave LOL...:smile2:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dave I cant tell you how proud of you and that fish I am. I, for one, know how hard you worked for that fish these past two years. I'm happy to see you finally land a great fish. Savor the moment, and keep at it. I know that 50 pound fish is in your near future. Thanks for sharing the story my friend.

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Glad to hear that Dave, I know you've been after a big fish for quite some time. Good job and keep at it, the first one is always the hardest!

14. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    Nice fish! hurry with the picture.

15. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    it is nice to know im not the only one who hasnt caught a sixty pound blue yet!great fish dave congradulations.

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Congrats Dave. Sounds like a great trip.

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Congrats on your personell best Dave and thanks for a great story!!

18. sfleischli

sfleischli New Member

State:
    Labadie, Missou
    Hey Dave:

Great fish. I probably saw you out there as I put in at Boeuff Creek early in the morning and stayed out until aorund 3 or so. I saw those same girls you were talking about. I fished aminly above the creek and nothing. Did you catch your own shad and cut them up or use some of those frozen guys you can get at the bait shop? I have been using teh frozen stuff and getting tremendous bites, but nothing yet.

Probably heading out again tomorrow. I am in a Green and White Skeeter (i know, bass boat for catfishing, but what the hell). What type of boat are you in?

If I see you I will say HI!

19. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats on fish!!!

20. Mrs SkipEye

Mrs SkipEye New Member

State:
    Winfield, Misso
    Congratulations on the big catch!