New personal best, rod and reel

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by smhmc6, Jul 1, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I caught my new personal best on a rod n reel a few nights ago. 12 1/2 pounds on a rod n' reel. Caught at KDOT East on a worm. For those of you that are from around Wichita, that is probably as amazing to you as it was to me. Unbelievable, KDOT and a worm. Other baits were cut bluegill and shad sides. I recently purchased the third rod and reel license and I decided I would use a slip bobber rig on that third rod 'n reel set at about 10' deep and about 15 yards off the bank. Thats the one I caught it on. Wouldn't have ever caught it if I hadn't have got the 3rd rod n reel license. Still can't hardly believe it. By the way, I also recently purchased a digital camera for such moments as that. But when I tried to post the pictures, they were to big. I know there are guys that know how to resize them.... any tips?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a nice fish.

send me the pic and I will resize it and post it for you.
    send it to my email

flathunter01@yahoo.com

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the fish.
    you can download a program called irfanview,which is free.you can open your pics in it and re-size them.i find most pics look good at 500 by 375.

4. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    hey that was my fish he broke me off not to long ago :smile2::smile2::smile2: nice to see one of my BOC bruthas caught it tho. u put er back??

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Nice fish congrats

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats Steve. That is amazing. I have contemplated on gettin the third rod permit but havent done it yet. I may do that tomorrow. That shows that it PAYS to try new things, bait and rigs. Congrats on the camera, they are indeed handy. I am glad I had mine tonight. I have a few suggestions. I resize mine in Paint Shop Pro. I think that you can set your camera to the size of pic you want. Any photo editing software should work,maybe even windows paint. Also if you dont have a timer and want to take a pic of yourself, use the video. Set the camera somewhere recording video and just hold the fish at all different angles. Put it on the computer and take stills from the video. Works great for me. AT night you have to use the timer so you can have the flash.:angry:

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes irfanview is what i use, very easy to learn

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks alot guys. I sent my pictures to Jack to help me out. Meanwhile I'll be downloading that program and figuring out for myself how to resize them. So in the future, when I catch my goal for this year ( 20# rod and reel) I can post them:smile2:. Thanks again to all and especially Jack.

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    You da man Jack. I didnt even think of that.:embarassed:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heres steve's nice fish

Attached Files:

11. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Congrats!

Windows paint will resize. Click on "Image" then "Stretch/Skew".

Adjust the horizontal and vertical strech. Leave skew set to zero.

It's not the best. You can only adjust by percent of original size but, it works in a pinch.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    when you open a picture with it,go to the word image on the tool bar and click on resize/resample.

thats a pretty fish,i like that color on em

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats On Your New PB Channel Steve, Irfanview Is Also What I Use Free From Google.

14. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I did forget to say that it was released back. The night was actually planned for catching a few eaters, since that is all I've ever caught from there. Usually .75 pounds to about 1 pound with the ocassional 2-5 pounder is all I'll catch. 3 or 4 years ago when I started catfishing I would have never thought of releasing that fish, it would have never crossed my mind. I don't know, the CPR theory must have worn me down. I enjoy eating catfish, but they are an awesome resource and for that pond, that is a hog. If someone else catches that fish from that pond they will probably take it home. That pond really gets fished out. That is what they stock it for, its a community pond, and people fish there for their food.

I've never really had the opportunity to catch a big catfish, until about a year ago when I said that I would release anything 10# +. That was when I and 2 friends of mine went to Milford lake and caught a 20 pounder. We caught that on a trot line, and put it back after several pictures obviously. That was and is our PB all time obviously, but for me, this 12 pounder was my personal best. Anyway, about that time I've bought a boat, small boat, but it has opened a whole new world for me and whole new opportunities. I have set a goal for this year and I'm getting close. 20#'s here I come!

15. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    You are gettin close Steve. You have more heart than alot of people I have met. That is what it takes. You cant catch a fish everytime and you sure cant get a big one everytime. You just have to go all the time, try different things, and get to know your prey. It will eventually pay off and when it does you will be really addicted. A big fish on a rod and reel is one of the greatest feelins in the world. It will keep you comin back. As far as your channel. That is a big one for that pond, especially as heavy as it is fished.Where you at your spot? He must have hidden all the way over there, knowin many people dont go there.Thats what it takes,the road less traveled.Good job on the release too. You know you threw it back and thats all that matters. I bet he was scared for a minute though.:smile2:

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats on the PB Steve, Nice Channel. :big_smile:

17. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Congrats on a new pb steve. I always see people there and thought about trying it but never have.

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great fish. Congrats.

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Wise investment there Steve...Nice fish congrats

20. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member