New Personal Best Flathead Catfish on Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jul 4, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I went out looking for big fish on Wylie for a while tonight and found two. One was a 19 pound blue and the other a 37 pound flathead. That eclipses my personal best from earlier this year.

That flathead was the hardest fish I have ever landed. I thought for sure I had a 60+ blue on. I have never had a fish take as much line, and stay down as much as this fish did. It was amazing!!

The funny part was that I called my wife right before hooking into it, because I always seem to catch fish when I am on the phone with her. The Tiger rod folded over, and I kept her on speaker phone while I was fighting it. She knew something was up when I could not get it in and said, "I am getting the kids in the car!" She was nice enough to come down to the marina at 12:30 in the morning to help me get some pictures of it! Amazing woman!! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    WylieCat,
    Very Nice flathead, Looks to be pretty fat also. Congratulations.:confused2:

3. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Congrats on the new P.B. Thanks for the pics.:0a31:

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    WOW, what are you going to do next? Who would have ever guessed that Wylie would produce the blues and flats that it has in the past year or so. In years past, when we would do a tourny on Wylie we were all fishing for the largest channel that we could find but, I don't guess that is the case anymore. Congrat's on a great catch, the flathead and Tonia. :big_smile:

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Nice job on that big flathead.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Dieter, you certainly are having a good year. Congrats on your PB

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Nice. Great picture, your wife done a bang up job. Its also nice to hear a wife willing to do something like that, I know would to, if asked. Its a good sign of whats to come on Wylie also.

8. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Congrats on the big flathead, way to go! My wife says that your wife has a level of devotion that makes the rest of them look bad! Props to her, too!

9. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    Great fish and photo. Figures - I don't live close to Wylie anymore. NOW the big fish are starting to get established there. Congratulations!

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    you found the horseshoe again!:smile2:

11. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Congrats! Thats a heck of a fight aint it? Its amazing the strength they have! Good Job!

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    thats a nice fish...thanks for the pictures

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats, I told you they where mean.Glad you got one that showed you how bad they are.That 33 lb flat you caught a while back must have just been lazy one ha?

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ya Chris, I think that one may have been lazy!! :smile2:

Like everything that happens fishing, I analyze it and try to pattern it. There was a 15-18 degree water temperature difference between the two, and this one was definatley post spawn, so I would assume he was at maximum feistiness!!! :big_smile: The 15 pounder I caught in early May was also in much cooler water.

I am not flathead expert by any means, but I am intrigued by them. I have read a lot about fishing for them and much of it centers around fishing live bait on rivers, log jams, brush, and other congested water structure. None of the flatheads I have caught have come from these places nor on live bait, so I am left wondering if fishing for flatheads in lakes is a lot different from fishing for them in rivers or if I am just lucky and passing up a lot of other fish. Perhaps if I ever get to the point that I can catch them consistently I will be able to put the pieces together.

15. Threadkilla

Threadkilla New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice work on those fish!!. I gotta know you are proud!

16. ThaBear

ThaBear New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well the CCC Prez strikes again.
    Great fish, better wife, you can't find to many of either.
    :wink:

17. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Nice fish!!! thanks for sharing. :0a31:

18. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    beautiful catch and u have a very wonderful woman mine would say its ur prob u do with it

19. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Congrats on the great fish.

20. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I am no flathead expert either by no means, just alot of luck maybe, but the 41lb at Santee and the 37lb one the other night were both on cutbait and not around log jams, brush, or anything like that, basically on a flat. So I do agree that fishing for flatheads in lakes is different than fishing for them in rivers. Some of the river fishermen think flatheads wont bite cut bait, but a 35, 37, 41 and alot of others between 5 and 25.......95% have been on cutbait in a lake.