New Personal Best Blue Catfish...55 Pound Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Jul 24, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ok folks, time for me to update the avatar.

Some of you may know I have been asking a lot of questions here and in the chat room about flathead fishing. I am not a flattie hunter, but I knew there were some 20+ pound fish in my home lake lake. The past two days I changed up from my normal approach to catching channels and went after some flatheads with bigger cut bait, live bream, and changed around some of the structure I was fishing.

Well, I found something else instead.

This morning I landed a 55 pound 1 oz. blue around 9:00am. I was stunned. Lake Wylie is not known for huge blues. I have caught blues up to 22 pounds, and lots in the 4-5 pound range, but a fish this size is unheard of in this lake, well, until now.

She was in a relatively shallow area and hit a large bream head. I had my back turned dealing with some long since forgotten anchor issue and I heard that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound of the drag. The rod tip was in the water and the 7/0 circle hook was doing its job. The 15 pound Ande line held and about 10 minutes later she was in the boat....after one heck of a one man nerve wrecking net wrangling job.

I couldn't find the camera in the tackle bag, so I had to call my wife to meet me at the boat landing to snap some pics. Some folks launching their boat probably thought I was nuts walking around in waist deep water with the fish in a net until my wife got there. LOL!!

Anyway, snapped some pics and sent the big momma on her way back into the water!!!

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thats an awesome fish brother, you gonna post some pics??

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

LOL...nevermind, I guess thats the fish in your avatar...Sweet fish man

4. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    WylieCat, couldn't happen to a nicer guy! We had a good trip yesterday morning trying the new tactics, but I sure didn't see this coming.

You sure had a big weekend. First we win the tournament Friday night, then we had a good day fishing yesterday, now this.

Don't forget to post those pictures soon.

tatersalad

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Great job and nice looking Blue! I'm still looking for something bigger than my 30lb flathead to put up.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i hear you wyliecat. thats a good looking fish!!!! just goes to show you never really know whats in these lake around n.c. glad to see you released her too. thats a lot of eggs in that fish. are you still shaking from catching that fish?...lol. congrates on the big blue!!!

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Nice, very nice. Congrats on a new personal best.

8. texasdog

texasdog New Member

State:
    Texas
    Very nice Blue Wyliecat

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Nice fish, cant wait till I land a nice big one!

10. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    Sweet! You never know what you're gonna catch 'till you get it to the boat!

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Great fish brother and remember if theirs one 55 lber its not by its self. I can see your new love will be running them blues around. Hey but thats ok it happens to all of us sooner or later. Great fish nice to see you CPR them big ones

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

What a hawg!! I can't wait to catch my first Blue cat. Congrats and glad to see you CPRd it.

SudDawg

13. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    Man that is an alsome fish. My dad and I are getting ready to go catch some flatheads, hope yall catch some more big blues.:0a22:

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Awesome fish brother, congrats on the catch. Glad to hear the BOC is helping land a big one. Also glad to hear you CPR it.

15. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats, always glad to here of a release too.

16. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Holy Crap! YOU THA MAN. That's awesome for anybody, but out of Wylie? That's just unheard of. Congradulations!

17. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, Dieter! You are the King of Lake Wylie :worship: :worship: :worship:

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Terry, that is exactly what I told a guide buddy of mine. I would be happy to catch a fish like that on the James River, Wateree, or Santee, but I think I was more shocked that it came out of Wylie than I was at the size.

The good news is that she is back in there, and hopefully she will add on a few more pounds!!

19. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Nice fish, how deep of water were you fishing in?

20. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    awesome fish and good job on the return policy