New permit for boat users

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flatheadhunterx, Jun 7, 2007.

1. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I got this off another site has any one heard of this.
    A recent lower court ruling mandates that all recreational boat users, in U.S. waters, may have to purchase an "EPA Water Discharge" permit for their boats. These permits could cost $800.00 or more, depending on your particular boat.

Use the following link to get a little more info on this. Have your computer speakers turned on so you can hear it.

While your at the below link, please use the "Send an E-Mail to Congress" function. This will let you send an "already formatted" e-mail to your congressional representatives. It's free, and only takes a minute to do so.

http://www.boattest.com/nmma.aspx

There has been a bill has been introduced into congress to exempt "recreational boats" from the new law established by the lower court.

Here's a short version of the bill submitted:
    ------------------------------------------------------

Recreational Boating Act of 2007 (Introduced in House)

HR 2550 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 2550

To amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act relating to recreational vessels.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 24, 2007

Mr. TAYLOR (for himself and Mrs. MILLER of Michigan) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure

A BILL

To amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act relating to recreational vessels.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Recreational Boating Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.

(a) Pollutant- Section 502(6) of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act (33 U.S.C. 1362(6)) is amended--

(1) by striking `or (' and inserting `('; and

(2) by inserting before the period at the end the following: `; or © any deck runoff from a recreational vessel, any engine cooling water, gray water, bilge water effluent from properly functioning recreational marine engines, laundry, shower, and galley sink wastes from a recreational vessel, or any other discharge incidental to the normal operation of a recreational vessel; except that this subparagraph does not apply to rubbish, trash, garbage, or other such materials discharged overboard by a recreational vessel'.

( Recreational Vessel- Such section is further amended by adding at the end the following:

`(25) `recreational vessel' means a vessel--

`(A) manufactured for operation, or operated, primarily for recreational purposes; or

`( leased, rented, or chartered to an individual for recreational purposes.'.
    ------------------------------------------------------

It's now up to Congress to pass this bill, allowing the exemption. Let's hope they have enough sense to do it. We all need to contact our congressional representatives to make sure they do!

2. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    thanks for the heads up everybody on the BOC needs to do this ASAP!

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I know I hope everybody does reply I would really hate to see this get passed.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    And people wonder why gas prices are so high.

I'll believe this one when it makes it through the house and the senate and without a presidential veto.
    There are tons of proposed bills and tons of them never see the house floor because of lack of congressional support.

If this is what they are after, a better way to write it with any hope of getting it passed would be to start placing a green tax on marine engine sales.
    I should have been a politician.

5. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for this link! This is really important and I'm glad that you brought it to our attention. We sent the email to our representives and send an email along to everyone in our address book.

Everyone in the BOC should do this. I wonder if there is a way to post this so that more people will see it? Can the staff put some kind of alert on it or something? I have no idea, but I'm sure that everyone on here would want to know about this.

Thanks again for keeping your eyes open for us.