New Pennsylvania Channel Catfish Record Caught?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Kat Head, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Kat Head

Kat Head New Member

State:
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    Ok, I live in Erie, just off of Lake Erie, which is where I do most of my fishing. I'm sure alot of you know it for the Steelhead fishing. What you may not hear about is the big cats in the lake. We do pretty well at the mouths of the tribs. Its not uncommon to catch a 20 to 25 pound channel. A little over a month ago a couple guys were small mouth fishing in Presque Isle Bay using big chubs which work very well in that area. They caught a big channel while fishing that measured 40 inches. Of course they didn't weigh it before releasing it, but they really didn't know what they had. This is only 7 1/2 inches shorter than the world record of 58 pounds (23 pounds heavier than PA record). Could this have beaten the 35 pound 2oz. state record? What do you guys think?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Michael!Not being funny or nothing but did you actually see this fish?I hear a lot of guys saing they caught this or that,I do believe erie is capable of producing a new record,but I,d wanna at least see a good picture of this fish.I do a lot of steelheading,I,ll have to put in more of an effort in for the cats next time I,m up there.I,ll probaly be up for a week in July,maybe we can get together some night and do a little cattin!:wink:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    65 lb flat coming out of the Susky and now a behemoth channel cat coming out of Erie?

Until I see a pic.......It's just another Fisherman's story!

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    the charter captain we used to go with on smallmouth trips with keyed me into the big channel cats up there. he said sometimes in the bay or in the main lake he would drift over huge schools of giant channel cats. and like previously said they get them at the mouths of tribs. they move into the tribs to spawn around the 4th of july or so. we visited with a friend of one of my buddies while up there and he had picks of some huge channels he and his friends caught and some were not to far from the record. this guy and the captain both said they have seen some and lost some that would have smashed the state record easily. have never tried to fish for them up there but would love to try it out though. never had the time to do it before. maybe a road trip is in order this year.

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Shawn got one that was #33 last year. You should try to find out how long his was and compare.

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Shawn (Nacck) got one that was #33 last year. You should try to find out how long his was and compare.

7. Kat Head

Kat Head New Member

State:
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    I did not see a picture of it. So you have to take their word for it, but they also didn't know it could have been a record. They don't fish for cats. I do know it must have been a pretty reliable group, the cat was even mentioned in the local paper. I am NOT saying it was a record. I'm just letting all you PA guys know that if you get a chance, there are some really large cats in Lake Erie. One problem, sometimes it's like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Other times it's non-stop 10lbs +. I will give you a tip if you ever make it up here. If it rains that day, or is still raining, go to any of the clay banks beside beaches. Everyone heads to the tribs which do produce. We hammer 'em at the banks all by ourselves. We think they come up to get all the critters washing into the water from the banks. Good Luck!

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Michael - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25::0a22: Thanks for the tips on Erie Cattin'! I may have to take a ride up there! :big_smile:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Welcome to the BOC!

This is not the first time I've heard of very large channel cats in the 20-25lb range being caught in the creeks around Erie! If it's true, this could be one of the best channel cat fisheries in the United States. I wouldn't need to go to the Red River, Manitoba to get a 25lb channel.

Please enlighten us with any info, Michael!

10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I'll be heading to Edinboro on the 4th for a family reunion and spending the night. Guess I will have to hide a couple poles in the back and try to sneak up to the tribs.:wink:

11. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    might be something to work on during the flathead spawn!!! shane

12. Kat Head

Kat Head New Member

State:
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    We went out last night to Elk Creek, after all the rain we had yesterday. Already a group in my favorite spot at 7:00 so we had to move down a little further. We only got a few 10-15lbs. That group in my choice spot caught 19 by 1:00 with the biggest weighing in at 29 1/2 pounds. I did see it. It was big! The creeks seem to be filling up faster and faster with guys. If you come up, get there early, just stay out of my spot. :roll_eyes:

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

That sounds like some PRIMO channel fishing!I hope to run into you when I get up there for a week this summer.Sounds like ya got a decent chance of getting a new record with fish that size being hauled in.:cool2:.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You westerners better take advantage of this!

15. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    And that spot would be......??????????:smile2::smile2::big_smile::big_smile::wink::wink:

16. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    I think im goin to start channel fishin while the flats are spawnin too, never really thought bout it before but it dont sound bad atall as long as I can remember how, I've been fishing for flats exclusivly for several years now without even thinking bout channels :wink:

17. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    I do a lot of channel fishing up my way, no real close flat waters...

I enjoy fishing for channels... they hit and run so hard when they are hungry, there really isnt anything like a big channel run...

18. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    im definitely planning a trip up to the tribs in july for a weekend to go after a 20+ channel, if anyone is interested let me know, i know of a good comfort inn with a breakfest buffet thats pretty cheap near elk creek...

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I may be interested! Let me know, Matt!

The El Patio Motel is my choice of lodging when I go up there!

When you gonna get your arse down here again? just make sure you don't come down on a full moon!

20. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    i definitely will, maybe the weekend after the 4th. gonna have to round up some eels and trout, got one last night on my eel pole, and snapped off on my biggest channel of the year on a fresh piece of it :sad2:

did i mention braid sucks! im done with it i think