New PB

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Dsage, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Well we went out on Osage last night again hoping to see what we could do. I did not have high hopes with the temps so high the last few day. Got put in around 5:45 and was fishing by 7:15 after looking for some shad for what seemed for ever. I caught one 12inch one and then gave up and was just going to use the gills that we had with us. Went to my same hole that gave up the 23lb back in June. We sat there it 9:30 with not even a nibble. I decided to move some where we had never really tried. Set up there and it was the same thing for about 20 mins. I then got a 2lb to hit some S. Seven and then a few miniutes later missed one other nice one on the S. Seven. The entire time I still had the live gills out floating under Cat bobbers in the grass that runs around some of the banks there. We then decided to break out the shad and cut him up and see what we could do with it. I tossed one pole out with the shad head on up in a cove so the water would move it up to the grass area. Well around 11:40ish I look over and the Cat boober goes shooting off and then it is now were to be seen. After chasing him aound the boat 2 times and having some close calls with the anchor rope he started to come to the top. That plan changed real quick when he saw the light he took off like a lighten bolt. I finally got him played out and we got him to the boat then one of my other poles went down and so did one of the old man poles. After weighing him several time and having the old man do the same and the Coffey scale read the same. We just stood there with out words. Only thing that we kept saying was 32.3Lb Oh Sh*!. So close to the State Record. I think that after looking at him and how beat up he was and then how skinny his gut looked that If I would had caught him before spawn he might had beat the state record. Oh well one will never know. Well we might one day since he is back in the lake swimming. I hope to meet him again when he gets his weight back on. Oh yea the others that we caught with him were a 4lb and a 7.6lb.

PS. I tried smiling JJ

PSS. It was a steam bath on the lake last night not hot just steam rolling off the water when the sun went down. Kept you moist all night and made for a fun trip back to the boat ramp in all the steam.

Attached Files:

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    More pics.

Attached Files:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice fish Dan, congrats:wink:

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Way to go Dan. Awesome fish. I knew there was some 30 lbers. in there. Ive been saying that lake has some potential state record channels. Im really happy for you, I know you have put in your time on that lake, boy o boy it has really paid off for you big time. Did you get a girth measurement as well?:big_smile:

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I tired to get one on him but the tape would not bend good the only one I had was the one on the fish grip. The wife is picking up a sewing tape for me today. I would love to see what that lake really has lurking in it.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive been looking at the pic of its head by your dads hand , damn that is a big head on him. No doubt at all with the size of his head, and 36" long that he is 30+ lbs. :big_smile:

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Congrats Dan that is a Hog , there have been some big fish caught out of there over the yrs and it just keeps getting better.

Thanks a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the CPR of such a fine fish.

You deserved him!

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats Dan, that was a hog. It amazes me what a small lake with feeder can do. I wonder how long they take to get that big in there? Again, nice fish!

10. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats Dan, On The Huge Channel Cat Looks Like Gene Might Want To Put This Fish On His Website. Man Thats A Nice Fish:wink:

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Looks like a channel cat. A huge one at that. congrats and thanks for sharing

12. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    congrats, nice fish and thanks for sharing

13. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Awesome fish Dan.How heavy of tackle were you using? The kdwp guys all say the next state record will come out of one of these little lakes with feeders like Osage,Woodson,Pleasonton or Melvern river pond.The current record came out of a mined land strip pit with a feeder in it. Looks like you were real close....I would be torn apart not wanting to kill it but wanting the recognition of a state record.I've caught 5 over 20 in the last 3 years but 24.7 remains my p.b.I'm not really a big fish chaser though.I'm a numbers guy not patient enough to wait.If I catch enough numbers I'll get a few big ones.I have tried live bait at Pleasonton 3 times this year.I did hook a really large one on a 5" crappie and had it close to the boat but it took off and snagged me on something.I would guess it was a 30 plus channel.The next 2 times I went out I kept 2 live bait lines out the whole time with bluegill or goldfish.When I caught my biggest one this year 17.9 on turkey liver I had a live bluegill on a bobber less than 5 feet away.I caught one 2 pounder on a goldfish but we caught 69 on liver that same day with a 15 and a 10 being the biggest.I need to use my river tackle for live bait there I guess.Gas prices and my truck overheating have kept me from trying Osage this year.

14. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Nice fish there Dsage.

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Eric

I was using my one of my flathead rigs. The pole is one of the Catfish Safari Flathead rods with a Abu 7000B spooled with Power Pro 80lb test. Osage is a great lake, and I have been lucky this year out there. Funny thing about the feeders there. I do not think they are even set up to go off. I have been in the area of them and have never seen or heard them going off. The trip before friday I was talking to a guy that had camped down there for 3 nights and was fishing almost around the clock and he said he never saw one go off. I really would like to see what it would had weighed if it was not off spawn. Then again I might not want to know since it was just off the record.:angry:

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    its been a few weeks ago but i got the sheet scared out of me while fishin off the dock there when the feeder went off unexpectedly at about 4:15- 4:30 am. bout jumped in the lake !! :smile2:

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Dan I would have to think that your fish would of been a NEW state record if he was caught about 2months ago or if he is caught again about Oct after he bulks up from the spawn.

I just hope you are the one that catches him again when he is a NEW state record and would know how to get him certified and back into the lake unharmed and not some moron that would take him out of the lake and show him around for 12 hrs showing him hanging in a bait station.

Good luck Dan!!

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::cool2:

19. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

Thanks Tom,

I started thinking of where to get one weighted if I caught what I thought would be a state record at the lake. I really do not know of alot of places that have scales in the area. I guess I could bug my brother and have him call around while we were still on the water since he lives in Osage and he knows a few people there. Oh well kinda putting the cart before the horse but it is alway good to have a game plan. I know Don has has scales certified at the Bait Hut. That is the only bait shop that I know in that area that has certified scales. Now lets hope I meet him again in the weeks to come after bulking up some.:wink:

20. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Few years back I caught a 52lb grass carp on liver. I was catchin little channel cats about 2-3 lbs. I only had a 7' bass rod and 12lb test. My digital went to 50 lbs and it was zeroing out. We had an anchor with the weight written on it and the scale worked perfectly.The state record at the time was 54 lbs 1 oz. This fish was 49" long with a 26" girth no way it's fitting in my livewell..But it was a Sunday night after 11:00.We called the game warden and tried to find a certified scale that was open. It took over 3 hours to find somebody that would let us use their scale.52 lbs 15oz. But the game warden said the fish could lose from 5 to 10% of its body weight being out of the water that long.That means it might have lost 2-5 lbs in the time we were jacking around trying to find a scale. The difference meant no record. THat record has since been broken a couple of times but it would have been cool to hold a record on something even for a short time.Still have pictures but not digital ones. Can't get this scanner to work right.