New PB

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Dsage, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    What a night.

I hit Osage State Lake Friday night left the ramp around 5pm. The night was real slow for the most part. Had a bunch of little ones stealing my shrimp. I tried every thing bigger hooks, smaller hooks, and trouble hooks could not catch them. I did not have any takers on dip bait either. I had planned on fishing most of the night but at this pace I thought it was going to be an early exit. That was till around 8:45. I was talking to the old man and I saw him make a weird face that is when I heard it. I looked over and my Catfish Safari Channel Cat pole was bent over almost touching the water. Almost as soon as it hit it, it was gone. I picked up the pole and waited for another hit. that is when it hit again. I set the hook and I knew it was big. Fought it for a good minute and then the line went limp. I reeled in and thought the line had broke. Nope the Trouble hook straightened out on me.

That got the blood running. I decided to switch out the hooks for my Team Catfish Trouble hooks. As I was doing that the other pole with shrimp on it went down some. I hooked that one and got it to the boat to find a nice 5.8lb drum. Things were picking up some. I got the other pole back out and not more than 30 minutes later it went down and hard. This time I got it and set the hook. After about 3 minutes of fighting it and keeping him from getting in to structure. He broke the top of the water and I knew I had a new Personal Best on the other end.

I’ll let the pictures say the rest.

In my opinion I think the last picture is the best though. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats on the new PB Channel:big_smile:. Thanks for the pics and story Also Thanks for the CPR:big_smile:.

3. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    shoooooo:embarassed: almost broke my pb mark lol but none the less thats a hell of a channel man congrats and its good u released er

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats a nice one Dan. Congrats on the PB and reps for releasin it. That lake is somethin else.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    WOW thats a HOG Channel Dan Congratulations !!! Ya Done GOOD:wink: J.D.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congratulations Dan. Thats an Awesome channel. Glad to see someone CPR at Osage. I still havent got word back from the KDWP about the petition for a slot limit out there. Maybe they are real busy. Ill have to bug them again. :smile2:

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  8. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    Awesome fish Dan! :cool2:

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice channel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is one real nice fish. How did the rest of the trip go? Thanks for sharing

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Congrats Dan,Thats the biggest one I have seen come out of Osage in a long time....thx for the CPR of that monster cat.
    Great pictures also..

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    nice channel cat. I think that one should go in the BOC HOF. It would take 1st place in Kansas

nice job man

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

The info has been sent in for the HOF. Thanks for the heads up.

I really like the Team Catfish hooks and the Blood spray. Missing that one due to the hook straighting out really drove it home that you need to spend the extra $$ and get the good hooks. Now all my dip bait holder are going to have the Team Catfish Hooks on them. And for the Channel cat pole of Steve's that thing worked like a champ it had plenty of back bone to move him from the structure and I never had to think twice about the pole letting me down..

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dan, Congratulations. That's the biggest channel I've heard of anyone catching in this part of the country in the last few years! Just an awesome fish, good job.

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    good catch Dan !! one thing though, please try tolook a bit more presentable in the pics :wink::smile2: at least smile. good work my friend.

16. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great fish Dan! Congrats and thanks for the pics

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Dan

I think you have always got to have the Team Catfish hat for the Catfish Safari pole to work.:0a37::006::0a27:

18. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on your PB Dan. Glad you and your dad had a good trip.

19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That's one heck of a nice Channel Cat. Great catch Dan!:0a23: thanks for the pics too and sharing the story!!:wink:

20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    way to go, what a great fish.