new pb

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by justaredneck, Apr 25, 2009.

1. justaredneck

justaredneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    went out last night just going out for some channels on lake clintons coon creek area but windy as hell and no bites but normally good this time of year for small to medium size channel cats so i took off to the spillway there and the road leading to it was closed so them i just fished the lake side of the dam. by then i was getting pretty mad because i walked up and down that dam casting out getting no bites , getting snagged every time i reeled my line in, and managed to lose all my weights but a couple. then i thought about the kansas river so i took off there right by the dam in north lawrence. there is a trail that follows the river for a good long while so i scouted down and saw lots of spots i wanted to try but i just got off a broken leg so after i got back to my truck i just decided to throw out right below the dam. i didnt expect to much because all i could get ahold of was some small goldfish but i tossed out my line and hoped for the best. about an hour later i junt to reel in and thought i had a snag so i just started yanking and that snag started swimming away. i never knew i had him, he didnt move my line or bait clicker he just ate it and stayed put. it wound up being about a 15ld flathead. not huge by ant standard but still the biggist one i ever caught. then i just caught a bunch of gar that ate the rest of my goldfish and called her a night at about 1 am

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stephen thanks for sharing your fishing trip, and congrats on the new PB. Enjoyed.

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Congrats on the new PB Stephen. did you manage to get any pics?

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats, sounds like an aggrivatin trip turned out okay anyways. Good thing about fishin, 1 bite is all it takes.:wink:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the new PB Flathead :cool2:!

6. justaredneck

justaredneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    no, no picks i didnt even know the flats were biting, i thought the water would still be to cold. i dont own a camera phone and i didnt bring a camera. were i tossed it out at i knew i would catch something { right between fast water and slow water} but i wasnt expecting a flathead, i was so frustrated by the time i got there i just wanted to catch something and call it a night. bait placement was skill, the rest was luck. which i credit the boc for, last year at this time i wouldnt have even known were to toss it. thanks

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats Stephen. :big_smile:

8. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Congratulations on the new PB Flathead.

9. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    SWEEEEET FISH BROTHER!!!!!!!!CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

10. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
  11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Congrats and thanks for the story.

12. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
  13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
  14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice fish..Congrats!!

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
  16. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Great Story. I'm Sure you will catch many more this year.

17. byoung

byoung Member

State:
    DeSoto, Kansas
    I've had some luck below the dam at Clinton when they're letting water out. Watch out for poision ivy though, urrg. Got it really bad there one year. Congrats on the PB; I'm sure it was a great battle.